Diversionary manoeuvres and a glorious farewell

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

„She hated him,
and he loved her
more than ever."

February was coming to an end and with it, winter. Although the weather remained icy, the slow onset of spring brought the students one sunny day after another. The sky was already a clear blue as they entered the Great Hall in the morning, giving the deceptive impression that it was warm enough to leave the thick jumpers in the wardrobe.

The fifth-graders were now inundated with brochures and leaflets about a wide variety of professions. Serena read most of them, but they didn't help her make a decision, so she preferred to focus on Fred and George, who had sat down at their table with a broad grin on their faces. "Ginny talked to us," Fred said in a lowered voice, addressing Harry. "She said you wanted to talk to Sirius."

"Yeah, I thought that would be helpful," he confirmed quietly, seeming to completely ignore Hermione's indignant gasp. "Don't make a fool of yourself. What about Umbridge poking around in the fireplaces and frisking all the owls?" she interjected incredulously and, for once, Serena had to agree with her. This complete isolation and uncertainty was also beginning to grate on her nerves. But it was necessary.

"Well, we think we can get round this problem easily," George said with a meaningful grin. "It's simply a matter of starting a diversionary manoeuvre."

"And if we're going to cause a bit of a commotion, why not do it in such a way that Harry can have a chat with Sirius in Umbridge's office?" his twin brother added with a wink.

"Yes, but it's still pretty risky. Especially in her office. What if she can track it somehow?" Serena interjected sceptically. "Why do you want to talk to him at all? It must be something important."

"I can't tell you that," Harry replied gruffly, leaving Serena to turn back to her breakfast in a huff. Apparently, the bespectacled boy was once again in an extremely mild mood, as he had been so often recently. She only noticed in passing how the twins were discussing the best way to lure Umbridge out of her office the very next day, "We'll let it go in the east wing, I reckon we can guarantee you twenty minutes. Serena, you'd best keep watch outside."

The girl almost choked on her pumpkin juice. "Oh, now I'm being dragged into this too?"

"You wanted to help us, remember?" George grinned, making Serena roll her eyes, "Well, someone has to make sure that this doesn't go completely to shit," she remarked snappishly to Harry and gave him a dirty look, as the clearly stated rule of no contact didn't seem to apply to him once again.

At five o'clock on the afternoon of the following day, Serena arrived at the scene of the incident together with Harry. Fred and George had promised to pull out all the stops and she didn't want to miss out. The two waited impatiently for the aforementioned diversionary manoeuvre, while Serena nibbled on her lower lip with a queasy feeling in her stomach. She didn't have a good feeling about this.