Bloody pleasure

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

"All is not gold that glitters,
pleasure seems sweet,
But proves a glass of bitters."

"I really feel sorry for you," Ron remarked late on Thursday evening, a mocking grin on his lips. "You do realise that Sirius won't like this very much?"

"Well, I didn't make the plan," Serena replied, taking a quick glance down at herself to make sure she hadn't forgotten her prefect badge. This happened to her more often than Professor McGonagall would have liked, who had often pointed it out to her with pursed lips. Of course, Serena didn't deliberately forget to pin the badge on her uniform every morning, at least that's what she had told her teacher.

"Still, he'd love to ground you for that," the redhead grinned and leaned curiously under Hermione's arm to see what book she was so engrossed in. However, she merely gave him a warning look and demonstratively held her book in a different direction.

"Like Sirius would ground anyone," Harry interjected, not even looking up as he spoke. He seemed to be too busy staring into the fire in the fireplace, lost in thought. But none of the three of them were really surprised anymore, because ever since Voldemort had been haunting his mind, he just wasn't the same and no matter how often they tried to talk to him, he always blocked it.

Hermione flicked through her book and put on that precocious expression they all loved so much about her, more or less, "If Serena keeps hanging out with Hall, maybe he will."

"I'm not hanging out with him," Serena objected, trying to put on an expression like Hermione's but it just didn't suit her, "We were just sent on night watch together and I can't help it. He'll have to complain to Dumbledore himself."

"I wouldn't put it past him." Ron interjected, seeming to have given up on annoying Hermione and leaned back, yawning.

"Anyway, I've got to get going. Night watch. Shoo shoo, off to bed with you." She gestured upwards to the dormitories with both arms, but her friends merely scowled at her despite the school rules. Sighing, Serena turned to leave, muttering to herself on the way out of the common room, "I told you no one would take me seriously."

"Identity crisis?" quipped the fat lady as the Gryffindor climbed through the hole and rolled her eyes, "Oh shut up before I draw you a moustache."

Satisfied, Serena realised that she had remained relatively polite despite the rather presumptuous words. Her mum would be proud of her. The indignant gasp of the portrait followed her down the stairs, at the foot of which she heard a short laugh. "It reassures me that I'm not the only one you're so mean to."