Chapter Thirty Four

It was the first week in February, and tonight was Lexie's big Grammy performance, she felt sick to her stomach with nerves. She was sat in the dressing room, in just a robe. After taking on a full dress rehearsal of her performance she had made her way back to the room to be greeted by her best friend Kate. "It looks incredible Lex!" "I'm just so nervous, I mean I know the album is doing well so far but it's still early days. What if everyone hates the live performance?" "They won't, you'll be fine." Gary entered the dressing room smiling. "Come on let's go get you ready, then we can do the red carpet and get you back here before they go live." Lexie nodded before throwing on some leggings, and an oversized hoodie, she donned large sunglasses as she was escorted out the venue. Paparazzi were everywhere calling her name and snapping the group's photos, she jumped into a waiting vehicle, and they were being driven back to the hotel when her phone rang.
"Hey doll."
"Hey!"
"How are you doing?"
"I feel sick." Lexie was brutally honest with Johnny who sympathised with her.
"I know it's easier said than done but don't be, you were born to do this."
"I hope so."
"You'll smash it out the park."
"How are you?"
"I'm ok, Alice is about to head on over, I think we will all arrive together rather than separately. I'll look a bit stupid just stood on my own."
"What time is your carpet time?"
"Ha, you'll soon learn, I have times I'm told, and then you've got Johnny time. I should be there by 6:40 I think."
"Ah shame, I'm walking at 6, got to get changed for the performance."
"Well I guess I'll have to hunt you down during the ceremony right?"
"Sure. See you later"
"See you then, and stop fretting, it's gonna be amazing."

It took a good few hours for the glam squad to declare Lexie red carpet ready but they got there in the end. She had opted for a white chiffon evening dress, it had a plunging neckline and a slit up the side. Her hair had been styled into a chic updo ready to be taken down instantly for the performance and she had full glam make up. Kate had opted to borrow one of Lexie's former red carpet dresses from past events, it was a black one shouldered mini dress. They would sit on the record company's table. Gary would be present with Ava too. The group left the hotel and arrived at the red carpet fairly quickly, Lexie jumped out, after all she had been doing this for the best part of 20-25 years, she posed up a storm. Many of her fans were screaming her name asking for autographs and selfies, she obliged to as many as she could. The reporters who had gathered for mini interviews were asking about the album and praising its success so over all it was going incredibly well.

Finally, Lexie made her way inside and backstage to the dressing room she had been given. Her outfit for the performance was a white tuxedo style play suit with silver sparkly thigh high boots.  She didn't really get the overall theme but she was happy with the outfit and left the label to organise what they wanted for the performance. Her hair and make up were refreshed, and Kate left to take her seat. She was completing some vocal warm ups when there was a knock on her dressing room door. She opened it expecting Gary but was shocked to see her ex Harry stood there in a three piece suit looking as if he just walked off the red carpet. "What the fuck are you doing here?" Lexie said sternly. "This was the only way I could see you. Besides I was invited, I'm in the music industry too you know" "your band broke up over two years ago, you aren't nominated or performing, so why are you here?" "Lexie I just wanted to see you." "I don't want to see you, I don't want to continue our relationship and I don't want you to ever contact me again." "Lexie please.. you don't have your henchman here now." "Harry, just go." "Yes mate I think you need to go." Gary had arrived and was not impressed to see Lexie being harassed. "Fine, but you better watch it, your new single won't get you anywhere. You still sound like a broken teenager and always will." Lexie rolled her eyes at his pathetic excuse and let him run off. Gary smiled "Are you ok?" "Yeah." "Are you sure?" "Yeah I'm fine Gaz." "Ok well they are ready for you in 3, come on.."

The pair walked down the corridor towards the stage and Lexie could hear the roars from the crowd, she was sure it was the warm up guys getting the audience going before the host arrived. As she got to the wings, she smiled at her band and group of dancers, who all looked as nervous as she felt. "Gary, I've changed my mind. I do wanna do the speech bit." "What?" "I really wanna do it." "Ok fine. Umm let me go tell the band," Gary ran off and was speaking to the band as Lexie peered out onto the stage. The venue was full to the rafters, people of interest, and other musicians were sat at tables close to the stage and on the floor, but there were members of the public all around in arena style seating. Working in Tv she heard the familiar "and we are on in 5,4,3,2,1"