invisible string

No POV

Rushing down the busy streets of New York, Grace pushes past the crowds, not caring as people curse her out when she shoves them out of the way.

Her alarm didn't go off this morning, which isn't usually an issue, at least, not until you factor in how her boyfriend Jesse kept her up until almost four in the morning arguing about how she wasn't going over to his place later. So Grace woke up in a panic when she heard Holly come into her room asking if her class got canceled.

She left without drinking coffee or eating. Checking the time on her phone, she sees that it's 8:30 now. Her class just started. She stops walking in defeat, taking a second to catch her breath and accept that she's just going to be late.

Already late, might as well stop for food and a coffee.

Harry walks down the street, texting the crew asking for their coffee orders. He has a show in New York tonight at Madison Square Garden. Sold out. He doesn't have to be at the venue until later, but he wanted to personally get the crew coffee since they've already started working on the stage.

He keeps his head down as he walks into a coffee shop, not even looking as he holds the door for a girl that walks in after him. He gets in line, hoping and praying that nobody sees him and makes a scene.

Grace walks into her favorite café, eyes stuck on her phone. She mumbles a thank you to the man who passes her the door, but continues to text with Jesse who just wants to continue the fight from the night before. She stands in line, growing more and more agitated with every passing second.

The line moves up and it's Harry's turn to order. He smiles kindly at the man at the register, "Hi, I have a bit of a big order, so I apologize in advance. Please take your time with the order, I don't want to hold everyone up." he warns, knowing that he's just creating more work for them.

He starts ordering the coffees, making sure to be careful to get them correct. The last thing he wants is for someone to get actual milk when they want oat milk. Once he's gotten all the drinks out of the way, he decides to surprise everyone with some breakfast too, ordering two of each pastry he can see and a few bagels.

As he orders, Grace continuously glances up from her phone, her annoyance growing. She's usually in and out of this coffee shop, ordering her usual and then rushing the two blocks to her class. Of course on the day she's late there's someone ordering every single thing possible. She sighs loudly, hoping the guy gets the message.

When he glances over, she's not looking anymore, but he can tell she has a pissed off look on her face. His eyes linger on the girl, his brows furrowing softly before he instantly just feels something in his heart. He can't describe it, but he interprets it as guilt for upsetting this person for some reason. He lets his eyes take her in for one more second before turning back to the man at the register.

Only, Grace notices him looking. She pretends to type, stealing a secret glance at the man ordering. He looks familiar, but she just can't place from where. All she knows is that she has this weird feeling in her stomach when she looks at him. She's snapped back into reality when she noticed Jesse texted her again.

Harry takes his wallet out, "Hey, think I could pay for her order?" he quietly asks the man, shifting his eyes in Grace's direction. He looks over with a smile before nodding, tapping the screen some more. She must be a regular here.

He hands over his card to pay and at the same time takes out a few twenties, not counting them before putting them into the tip jar that's primarily filled with change. Harry plans on putting a little more in there before he leaves, just because he knows his order is probably annoying.