𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟒:𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐛𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐲𝐨𝐮- 𝐈 𝐜𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞.

◇◆◇◆◇◆◈◇◆◇◆◇◆

WARNING: Angst; mentions of heavy torture, bruises, physical violence. Fluff; like so much fluff. Like fluff alert, omg.

A/N: Thank you for your patience! Case you didn't read my post yesterday, I had a family loss this past week and I needed to gather my feelings for a bit. Thank you so much for everyone who wrote to me and sent love my way. I highly appreciated it and I will prioritize getting to you guys! I just wanted to post this first <3 but thank you for being so sweet!

This chapter is heavily inspired by that CW episode where Anakin is captured by Dooku. I have some heavy opinions about that chapter (that's the day I lost all love for Anidala), so getting to recreate it my way was hella fun!! Thanks to @maddieskywalker for suggesting it a while ago!

This one is dedicated to @hierophantzhoe !!! Hope you enjoy it sweetheart!

Important debate at the end of the chapter, pls participate if you can!

◇◆◇◆◇◆◈◇◆◇◆◇◆

Present time, a week after Anakin's capture

Phoenix's POV

With a loud sound, I interrupted Qui-Gon's office.

—Phoe-

—I'm going. Whether you like it or not. —I growled, holding my lightsabers on my side.

—Phoenix. We've discussed this. —Qui-Gon stood up from his desk, infuriated.

"We've discussed this."

Hell, do I know we've discussed this. The problem was that I didn't agree.

It had been one week since Anakin was captured: the most gut-wrenching week of my whole existence. Every day I would come here and petition Qui-Gon to let me be part of a rescue team and travel to Yavin 4, with the expectation that I would have the chance to go to him myself.

The first days I would come in and politely ask him, standing still and lowering my head in shame whenever he would say no. Taking my rightful place behind him, I would be situated quietly on the back while Obi-Wan called to fill us in. Qui-Gon refused to send any more resources to an already expensive mission. But above all, he refused to spoil them in their own screw-up.

In his words: "They messed up. They fix it."

So I would have to settle to stand back, biting my tongue and holding my tears, as Obi-Wan's desperate hologram would beg for mercy. His eyes demonstrated his lack of rest; so red and swollen, his beard neglected and messy. He would answer out of breath, reporting the casualties in the middle of an aerial attack or in the five minutes he had between  explorations. The poor man was worn-out beyond belief.

I tried to intervene on his behalf every chance I had. And soon it became a daily routine for me to put myself out there, risking turning Qui-Gon's anger towards me:

A couple of days ago...

"Qui-Gon, it's impossible for them to cross that barricade all on their own. I can go-" I timidly rushed in to say, catching Obi-Wan's miserable gaze.

"No." Qui-Gon put his hand up, but I could only see the back of it. His office suddenly felt cold, distant. Feelings I hadn't felt in here since years ago.

"Master, could you please reconsider it? There's no way we can get through. Their pilots are better than ours- We are running out of clones and Windu-" Obi-Wan's hologram would go off and on because of the weak connection.