Chapter 47: Answers

Anyone said avoidant? Nope, definitely not our McCauley.

___

Sarah was sitting on the bed at St Mungo's, staring at Harry, watching his chest go up and down. It had hit her, Sirius had died. And every time she thought about it, she felt her system shut down, actively refusing to deal with the grief. So she set it aside for a few hours, wanting to go check on everybody else.

She checked on Ginny, because she knew her ankle was hurt. The Bandaging Charm had helped a lot, thankfully.

Luna had a busted lip and a possible concussion, but the Healer didn't know she always acted this way.

Ron, Hermione and Neville were not as bad, they had little cuts and bruises, nothing some Essence of Dittany can't fix.

She bumped into Augustus when she exited Hermione's room, he didn't know of course what had happened, and he wasn't good at being empathetic. He handed her a cup of tea. He'd made it for himself but figured she needed it more.

"I'll see you back here in August, take care," he said gently, and continued his way. Sarah stayed out of everyone's way, thinking back to how she managed to fool powerful wizards she was dead, and she did the same thing, now. She didn't know how to handle losing Sirius, now. It felt like losing another parent, and his body was gone, she couldn't say goodbye to him.

And she also needed answers about the crystal ball. She decided to speak to Dumbledore, because if anyone had answers, it was him.

"Professor?" she asked, as he was standing in front of the cafeteria, trying to choose between two kinds of desert.

"Yes?" he answered, without looking away, then pointed at a frosted piece of cake, "That one, please," and a lady set it on a napkin for him.

"I was wondering if I could have a word," said Sarah, a bit nervous now.

"Certainly. Why don't we walk outside for some air?" he gestured for her to walk forward and they went outside, walked around the hospital.

"What was it you wanted to talk about, Sarah?" he asked, taking a bite out of his cake.

"I didn't take Divination as an elective, but my friend Selena did, and she told me about how prophecies worked. If I remember correctly, they reveal themselves to people about whom they're about?" she asked, waking in step with him.

He nodded, "Yes, that would be correct."

Sarah's stomach turned, then, because it didn't make any sense, "When I was at the Ministry, I Apparated right between Harry and Lucius Malfoy, and I grabbed the prophecy he was holding. I stumbled down, and was quickly stunned, the crystal smashed against the wall, but, I did hear something."

Dumbledore took another bite and nodded slowly until he could speak, "What would that be?"

"Professor Trelawney, speaking. I'm guessing the prophecy concerns Harry, because she said 'He will have power the Dark Lord knows not,' and," she stopped, wondering if she'd heard correctly or not.

"And?"

"I think she said a 'Protector'," breathed out Sarah, having some strange feeling about this.

Dumbledore stayed silent for a few seconds, then hummed, "A 'Protector' you say, well. I believe there is an explanation to the matter."

"And that would be?" asked Sarah anxiously.

"As you know, Harry's mother set a protective charm around him, giving her life for him. That is what allowed him to live," said Dumbledore in what sounded like a guarded tone.