Chapter 13: The Hawk

It was pouring rain, Sarah was trying to follow the movements of the Gryffindor Quidditch team, but it was too difficult to even keep her eyes open.

She tried to set her hands like a screen over her eyes and she finally saw how Harry and Cedric were running after the snitch in the sky. Harry seemed to stop then, his vague figure was visible through a cloud. Cedric caught the Snitch, sending a row of cheers from the Hufflepuff stands and not long after, Harry appeared, falling right from the sky, getting a shocked scream from Sarah and Hermione. Dumbledore cushioned his fall with the Arresto Momentum charm and the next thing Sarah knew, she ran to Harry, accompanying him to the Infirmary.

They were all standing in front of Harry now, he was still sleeping. Ron was holding the remnants of Harry's Nimbus 2000, it flew right into the Whomping Willow when Harry fell off of it and now it was just splinters. 

"He looks a bit peaky, doesn't he?" whimpered Ron.

"Peaky?" said George, "What do you expect?"

"Let's walk you off a tower and see what you look like," retorted Fred, Harry's eyes fluttering open.

"Probably a right sight better than he normally does," he said in a pained voice, making everyone chuckle.

"How are you feeling?" asked Sarah as he sat up.

"Oh, brilliant, although looking peaky? Was it?" he said, looking at Ron.

"You gave us a right good scare, there," said Sarah, sitting on his bed.

"What happened?" asked Harry.

Ron winced, "Well, you fell off your broom."

"Really? I meant the match. Who won?" he looked over their faces and they hesitated to answer.

"No one blames you Harry," said Hermione, "The Dementors aren't supposed to be  on the grounds. Dumbledore's furious. As soon as he saved you he sent them straight off."

"There's, um, something else," said Sarah hesitantly, looking at Ron.

"When you fell, your broom sort of blew into the Whomping Willow, and," he showed him the bits his broom were now, watching regretfully how his face fell apart.

"Isn't this cheerful?" said Sarah, grimly, and they all sighed.

_

Later that week, in Transfiguration, Professor McGonagall announced they were revising the Switching Spell today, along with an introduction to Vanishing Spells.

"Upon vanishing, the objects, living or inert, go into non-being, which is to say, everything," explained McGonagall, making Fred and Sarah glance at each other from their parchment in confusion. Her hand shot up and McGonagall lifted her chin towards her.

Sarah asked "What if you need it reversed?" and McGonagall shook her head and responded "There is no undoing the spell, Miss McCauley," at which Sarah nodded and resumed her writing but she was wondering what would happen if someone did this by accident and made something or someone vanish. Guess you just had to be careful with it.

She glanced back at Fred who took his quill in between his index and thumb, twisted it, catching her attention, twirled it around, blew on it, and seemed to throw it behind him but nothing flew back when Sarah looked and when she turned to him again, the quill was gone.

She shook her head confused, he just raised his shoulders, eyes wide, lips pressed together. She looked back again but there was nothing. Did he just perform the Vanishing Spell? No, that was impossible. Her eyebrows furrowed, amused. Then Fred held up his fingers, twirled his hand around a few times and the quill reappeared in his hand, playful look on his face. He did it again and this time, when the quill disappeared, she realized the trick. She grabbed his wrist, "It's in your sleeve, you charlatan," she whispered while she pulled the quill out, shaking her head.