34

CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR

**********

Leo’s POV

**********

Gosh, I am freaking nervous right now. Like how do you expect me to tell someone that she is going to be a Luna this night? And that too impromptu. I slowly gazed at her, unable to talk. She was eating. I have to say it now or never. It is high time I said it. I coughed out and cleared my throat. She looked up at me worriedly. “Are you okay?” she asked.

Am I okay?

She passed her cup of water to me which I gladly accepted and gulp down within a few seconds. “Okay?” she asked again and I nodded my head positively.

“Erm…” I clamped my lips shut and exhaled. This is very hard. Like really hard.

“Erm… rose….” I called out and she looked at me attentively. My heart kept skipping beats as I stared at her amber eyes.

“Hmm…. I … erm…” I stuttered. Gosh, I have never been as anxious as I am right now.

“What do you want to say?” she asked softly.

“Erm… what do you think of being a Luna?” I asked her. not what I wanted to ask but let’s go with this first to see her reaction.

“Luna? I don’t think I can.” She answered, shaking her head negatively. I frowned.

“And why do you say so?” I questioned her with my attention on her now.

“I don’t think I can do it. You know it is a heavy burden and only the strong can carry it. I am not that strong…”

“You are strong and you can and will carry it,” I said to her. She gasped and looked me in the eye.

“no, I can’t,” she said and looked away.

“Guess you will have to learn because guess what? You are one now,” I said with a fake smile though anxiety was eating me up from within. She looked at me with eyes dilated in shock.

“What?!” she gasped and blinked her eyes.

“I said you are a Luna now.” I declared slowly for her to comprehend.

“How? When? Where?” she asked and I could sense panic in her voice. Not to talk of her hands that were beginning to shake. I quickly stood up and ran towards her.

“Calm down, Rose,” I whispered to her and patted her back soothingly.

“I… I… don’t know… I can’t…” she grabbed me by my singlet and tears were beginning to fall from her eyes. Gosh, this is so agitating.

“Calm down, breath in and breath out,” I instructed her. she did it slowly and I quickly poured water into a cup and gave it to her.

“But Leo…” I shunned her by placing my hands on her lips.

“You are strong. You are confident. No matter what you might have gone through in the hands of your parents just know that you are special and I would never treat you that way.” I said, more like promised. I leaned closer and planted a peck on her forehead.

“So you are an… Alpha?” she asked.

“Yes. But it is a long story.” I said.

“How? When?” she asked again. Remind me that this lady is quite curious.

“Some days ago, I guess,” I said with a shrug.

“How?”

“Hmm… guess it is storytime,” I said and she giggled. I smiled in return.

“I grew up with my parents and younger sister. Our parents both loved each other so much that our family friends were envious of us even our neighbors. But then on a fateful night, he threw us out alongside our mum. You know after three months, she gave up the ghost.”

**********

Rose’s POV

**********

What? Me? Luna?

I was shocked. Like how does he expect me to be a Luna? I was really scared like crazy. What he was saying touched my heart. Like his father could do something like that to him.

“Besides who is your father?” I asked him.

“Damien’s dad.” He replied curtly.

“Wait, Damien, the Alpha of my pack. Like Ciara’s mate?” I asked, to make sure I heard the right words.

“Yeah, he is stepbrother. Guess he thought he was the old man’s only son.” He said with a dry laugh.

“You know I did not know I was a werewolf until I turned 18. I was coming back from work since I used to work there as a waiter. I started feeling pain. It started from my ribcage to my spinal cord then to my head before proceeding to every part of my body including my ankles. I sort of ignored it at first thinking it was because of the stress of going and coming. I was walking along the street that night, on my way back home, I suddenly found myself screaming out. I fell on my knees and everything happened so quickly. Every limb of mine tore apart. Like they cracked and reformed and…” He trailed off and stopped. He must be remembering the first time he shifted. I touched his shoulders and he faced me with tears brimming his eyes.

“I was in pain for so long. I did not have someone who could tell me that everything was going to be okay. That everything was all dream. That I would wake up soon.” He cried. I pulled him into a hug.

“I did not have someone who could help me. I did not know who or what I was. I had to fend for myself and my sister. I had responsibilities.” He cried on my shoulders. I held him close and patted his back slowly

“I did not know what mate meant. Did not know I could speak to him. Did not… know so many things that were essential to my living.” He added.

“Just calm down. Seems like we both have been through lots of things in the past. Let’s try to move on, Leo.” I whispered in his ears. He sniffed and looked at me.

“Rose, do you agree to be my Luna and claim the position that you truly deserve?” he asked.

“I…” I was tongue-tied.

“My pack… I mean our pack, they were so happy when they saw that their new Alpha was marked. They had these happy expressions on their faces and I could also feel it in the bond. They wanted to see their Luna.” He said. I closed my eyes and breathed out.

“Yes, I will. But I will need your assistance.” I said with pleading eyes. He smiled and nodded his head.

“Sure.”

“Concerning your health issue, I will speak to one of my friends who is a doctor and he’ll see what he can do about it.” He said and I nodded.

“We will be going tonight.” He said.

“W-What?” I gasped.

“I said we will be going tonight to meet the pack members.” He said.

“Oh, okay then,” I said.