The Girl With Two Faces

I used to think that Kaylee Harmonia was the prettiest girl in my school. Now I think the same thing, but on one condition. Kaylee is the prettiest girl in my school, if you look at her from the left side. The left side of her face is as beautiful as it always was. But if you look at the right side of her face... well, it's a different story. But I have time to tell you that story. So listen up, because it's not a story I really like to tell, and I'm not going to repeat myself.

Everyone has a horror story to tell at some time in their lives. For me, it was when I was twelve, and fell off the high dive at my swimming pool onto the concrete ten feet below it. I landed hard on my arm, and had to wear a cast for twelve weeks after that. But don't be giving me those sympathetic looks that people always give me when I tell my horror story. Because Kaylee's horror story is worse. Much, much worse.  

For starters, hers happened on the night of her sixteenth birthday. Her sixteenth birthday was supposed to be the best day of her life, but instead, it was the worst, and what happened on that day made many days to come so much more worse. And it was all my fault.

As Kaylee's boyfriend, I thought it would be really awesome to do something with her that I knew she loved. Kaylee was a real daredevil, and I had gotten a motorcycle a few weeks earlier as a Christmas gift, and I thought she would love it if I took her for a ride. But it wouldn't be just any ride. It would be a ride through he ditch by our school, with lots of stunts and flips. It would be a ride that she would remember. And it was a ride she remembered. But not in the way I had intended.

I slipped Kaylee a note earlier that day in school. It said, Happy birthday to the most special girl in the world. Meet me in the ditch at 8:00. Come alone. We're going to do something dangerous. Your boyfriend, Paul. If I had only known just how dangerous this something was going to be.

I left my house on my motorcycle at 7:45. It was only about a five minute ride to the ditch, but I wanted to be there extra early, so that Kaylee didn't have to wait for me, because she's usually a little early for everything. It was a cold, dark January evening. It wasn't snowing then, but snow from earlier that day was still on the ground as I rode to the ditch. It was surprisingly peaceful. There wasn't anyone out, and my motorcycle sounds were the only sounds I could hear. I could see my breath, white against the deep blue sky. The only lights were the street lights and my headlight. All was well, but it didn't stay that way for long.  

I got to the ditch at about 7:50. I waited at the bridge that connected the neighborhood to the walkway that led to the school. I waited about ten minutes, and when I saw Kaylee coming towards the bridge, I grinned widely, and so did she. I met her with a hug, and she giggled as I whispered, "Happy birthday" in her ear. I hopped on my motorcycle, and she climbed on behind me. She wrapped her arms around my waist, and though it was a cold night, she was warm against my back.

I started my motorcycle and in a matter of seconds, we were off. There were some chunks of icy snow that I used as ramps to do flips off of. I'll never forget Kaylee's shrieks of laughter and the feeling of her arms clinging to me. It went well for the first twenty or so minutes. And then it started to snow.

Unfortunately, the sky started dumping boatloads of snow just as I was in the upside-down position of a flip. I was so startled that I didn't get the motorcycle completely right-side-up before the ground met us. Kaylee's screams filled the night, and this time they were not happy shrieks. They were screams of pain.

"Kaylee!" I shouted. All I heard were more screams. I couldn't see her with the snow coming down this thick, and I couldn't tell which way the screams were coming from. I felt something under me. It was my motorcycle. I peeled myself off it, and then pushed it to the side. I had to find Kaylee. "Kaylee!" I shouted again. Again, only screams came as  a reply. I shouted for her until my voice was hoarse, but still I didn't find her. I was starting to lose hope. Then, all of a sudden, the snow stopped. I saw a figure a few feet away from me. I ran toward it. She was lying facedown on the ground. A thin layer of snow had covered her. Some of the snow near her head had started to turn red, and more turned red every second.

I held my breath, and flipped her over so I could see her face. I screamed when I did. The left side of her face had only a few scratches, but the left side of her face wasn't what had caused me to scream. She must have landed on the right side of her face, because there was more blood and flesh than skin on it. Full chunks of skin were missing in some places, leaving behind just blood and flesh.

"Paul..." Kaylee said weakly. "It hurts." Tears ran down her face, some getting absorbed in the maze of blood, flesh, and skin on the right side of her face. "I know it does," I said gently, lifting her into my arms. I cradled her against my chest, breathing warm air over her face. "I'll get help."

I took her to a nearby hospital. Luckily there was one about half a mile from the school. I had to walk, because I didn't think I could hold Kaylee and steer without running into something.  And besides, hadn't I just proved what a horrible motorcycle driver I was. I dropped Kaylee off at the hospital, then walked back to the ditch to get my motorcycle. I rode home, and told my mom everything that had happened. She was horrified, and called Kaylee's mom immediately. It was not a pleasant moment when my mom and I met Kaylee's mom at the hospital. She wasn't mad at me, but she wasn't happy either, and it was really awkward while we waited for the doctor to report back to us if Kaylee would be alright. He finally did. "Your daughter will be alright," the doctor said to Kaylee's mom. "I must warn you, though, she will have a few scars."

That was an understatement. The whole right side of Kaylee's face was basically one big scar, with a patch of skin here and there. Incredibly, the left side of her face appeared to be unharmed in any way. No scars, not so much as a scrape is visible. It's really weird, but also really cool, because it gave me a new nickname for her: The Girl with Two Faces.

A/N: This is based on a true story. My friend's mom told me that this actually did happen to a girl. Also, there is a ditch by my elementary school that I used to go to, and that's where I got the idea to have this story set in a ditch. I'm sorry if this story was more gruesome than it was scary. I hope you liked it!