Beyond

Darden Bernard, the police chief, sighed in frustration and leaned back in his chair, his box of cigarettes clutched tightly in his hand. He stared angrily at the article displayed on his laptop:

Family of 3 murdered, police force left baffled!

He growled and slammed his laptop shut. It had been 10 days since the bodies were discovered, and no trace of the murderer was to be found. The first solution offered was that it was a family member who committed the murder, but that was quickly removed from the possibilities. It was completely impossible.

Walter Jacobson was assigned to investigate the house after neighbors reported the family going unseen for days, and no one answering the door bell. The fence was too tall to get into the backyard, and the doors were locked.  That of course, didn't stop the police from entering. They regretted ever going inside. They found a total of 3 bodies inside the house, but is was only after careful examination that they came to this conclusion. After the first search through the house, only one corpse was discovered, the body of a 30 to 40 year old man in the closet, several knife wounds in his chest. The knife believed to be the weapon was found lying cleaned and sharpened on the bed. The police continued searching through the house, until they finally reached the kitchen, where they were met with a horrific sight. Lying on the kitchen table was a huge pile of meat, a butcher knife resting right beside it. When investigated, half of the meat was identified as various animal meats. As for the other half, it was identified as remains of an adult women.  Finally, the third body was discovered during the search of the backyard. A few minutes after beginning to investigate the backyard, a poorly covered grave was discovered, inside was the nearly decapitated body of a young child.