Pitter-Patter

It was a dark night. Rain pitter-pattered against the roof of Michelle's house. Though she had never told anyone in the world, and she never would, Michelle was afraid of the dark. She hated the fact that her mom and dad had never given her any siblings, but there was no changing that. Unless, of course Michelle's grandmother and grandfather decided to have any kids. Fat chance! But having another kid, hugging her shoulders and crying right along with her, would definitely make some lightning a little less scary.

Michelle's parents had died 3 years ago in a car crash. Even now (and Michelle was almost 11) she still had nightmares that her parent's ghosts were haunting her, tapping on her windows and laughing at her when she did something embarrassing (and it happened a lot). Michelle really got freaked out when storms blew through. Something about the sound of thunder booming really set off her fear detector. Tonight was one of those nights.

The rain had just decided to pour, and the sound of all that water coming down from the sky all at once made Michelle feel pretty unnerved. She was just about to call to her grandmother to come see her when she heard a sound. It wasn't the sound of the storm or her own racing heartbeat, but a little voice.

It sounded like a little girl, kind of high and very freeky. It said, "Hello there, Michelle. I've been watching you all these years. What a beautiful young woman you've turned into." Michelle was so stunned, she couldn't even scream. Her eyes darted around her bedroom. Where was that voice coming from? She didn't see any sign of anyone there. She hoped it was just a trick of the light, and that the dark room was hiding someone who was playing a prank on her. But then a jolt of lightning illuminated the room, and Michelle saw that there was no one else in her room but her. Her jaw unfroze, and a scream escaped her lips. Then the voice said, "There's no need to be afraid, my dear. I am in a living body right now, so you do not see me in solid form. But I am very well alive in your head, lurking in the deepest corners of your room, watching you." Michelle screamed again and squeezed her eyes shut. "You're okay, child. I've got you. You don't know me as you hear me now." Then the voice changed. Now, it sounded lower and more mature. It said,"Perhaps this voice you recognize better?" And the voice sounded exactly the same as Michelle's mom.