Chapter 28: Under Wraps

Under a beautiful sunny day next to a lake, the kids are playing Snakes & Ladders while Groot is sunbathing by the window.

"You gotta love summer vacation." Ben rolled the dices. "Nothing to do all day long but sit around and-"

Ben get startled by a hand on his shoulder. He looked to his back and found Max who is in his bath robe still has a leftover shampoo on his hair.

"Grandpa, what gives?" Ben asked.

"What gives is that I ran out of water in the shower again." Max wiped the remaining shampoo. "It's your job to keep the tank full, Ben."

"I will. Just, later."

"Sure. The same way you're going to make your bed or take out the trash?" Gwen smirked.

"You're a fine with the talk, young lady. You think those dirty dishes are just gonna wash themselves." Max pointed at the said dishes on the sink. "The only reason you two haven't done any chores is because Y/n and Ciel do them all more often than you two."

Y/n and Ciel shared each others a fist pump before Groot dropped down from the window frame and knocked both Ben's and Gwen's pawns off the board.

"But it's summer vacation, grandpa." Gwen whined.

"Yeah." Ben agreed. "If we wanted to do chores, we could've just stayed home."

As if god mend with their fates, a radio played a farm camp advertisement at the Maplewoods' farm camp. And before the kids knew, they're on their way to the said camp.

"Trust me, you're gonna love it!" Max said. "When I was a kid, I spent every summer with my uncle Jedediah's farm. Learning the value of a little hard work is just what you kids need."

As soon as they arrived at the farm, they are greeted by the farm owner at the field.

"Welcome, I'm Joan Maplewood. This is my son, Todd." The owner introduced herself and her son next to her. "You must be the Tennysons."

"Yes, call me Max." Max replied. "And these tenderfoots are my grandkids, Ben and Gwen. And these are their friends, Y/n and Ciel."

"Hi!" Todd greeted.

"Hey.../Yo/Hello." The cousins, Y/n and Ciel replied respectively.

"Well, enough chit-chat, you're here to work." Joan said. "You can start by unloading that truck full of feed over there."

She pointed at the said truck next her. Enthusiastic, Max went first, followed by the L/ns and then his grandkids.

As they unloading the truck, Ben was about to go alien but interrupted by Y/n who smacked him at the back of his head.

After a roughly few hours, Max and the kids are finished piling up the bags into the barn with the laters are completely exhausted. Ben and Gwen are laying on the bags of feed while Y/n and Ciel are leaning on their backs on each other. In a distance, Groot is spotted eating the farm feed from a leaked bag.

"Groot, spit it out!" Y/n threatened, startling the walking plant. "Don't make me come down there!"

Dropping the feed from his hands, Groot looked down in defeat and returned to Y/n's side.

"Ben... Gwen... I'm blaming you two... for this..." Ciel panted.

Joan rang a bell from her home, calling them for supper. Max and his grandkids went out first while Y/n hanged back since Ciel hasn't move.

"Y/n... can you carry me...?" Ciel requested. "I can't feel my legs..."

Sighing, he kneeled in front her with his back against her. She slowly climbed up to his back and with his remaining strength, Y/n piggybacked Ciel to Joan's home with Groot hiding in his pocket.