𝗍𝗁𝗂𝗋𝗍𝗒

Changkyun rummage through the endless compartment in the pantry, trying to look for the certain wine his Mom had bought ages ago. He sighs in annoyance, he's been in the room for about 5 minutes now and he hasn't seen it yet. "Having trouble?" His older brother, Chanhyun chuckles, entering the room as wlel. "I never really understood the way Mom organize her wines" He admits opening another compartment and seeing condiments in which made him close it again.

"You don't really live here, that's why"

Changkyun halts at his brother's statement. Slowly, he let go of the door of a compartment, sighing. His mood never drop this low since then but now that Chanhyun is back, everything came replaying in his head. Im Chanhyun was the reason he never talk, always quiet and rather the listener than the one talking. "There's no reason blaming me for not living here" He replies, opening another compartment. The older sighs pulling the wine he was looking for. "How was Toronto, anyway?" He ask away. "Good. Boring cause Mom is not there"

"Why? You need her to compare you to me again?"

That came out of Changkyun out of nowhere. Maybe because he never really talk about the problem that cause their distance to each other but it just came out. Like he's been waiting for this to happen. "You live like that" He adds, continuing. "You spend your teenager year living with your chin up high. You become a doctor like what Dad wants and I decided to become a useless singer. That's why you want everyone around you"

"To feed you with compliments while I'm drowning in a pool of how much of a failure I am"

"Changkyun, what are you saying? I'm saying that I want Mom around me so she could take a rest and worry about nothing. I'm trying to say that I'll provide her instead since you're having a baby and a wife to provide" Chanhyun respond. Changkyun scoffs leaning on the counter behind him. "Mom don't need you to provide her. She's earning money and she likes it here. Do you really think she admire you as much as Dad do? She hated you for following the path somebody else's choose for you"

"You never want to be a Doctor. You always talk to me about how much you want to be a producer" He spat nonstop. "Then, why did you stop talking to me? You treat everyone here like nothing and you never talk to me again right after I turned 19. Why did you stop talking to me? I'm your brother, you have to talk to me, Kyun" Changkyun sighs at the nickname. He last heard that when he was 17 and that was the same year Chanhyun left for Toronto. "You wanna know why I stop talking to you?"

"Every other time I open my mouth all I ever receive was I should have followed your path and that I will regret being a singer. Tell me, should I keep talking if everytime I talk I received that kind of criticism?" He spits, his eyes sharp yet he feels his chest tightening. "I'm a successful singer, I earn as much as money you earn and I have a decent job. It's not a matter of job we have..."

"Dad can just go all the way just to compare me to you"

...

Jia chew her food, the deafening silence across the dining table was enough to make her shut her mouth. Even the usual talkative Ms. Im is quiet. Jia could feel how much dominance the man at the end of the table have which made her feel so uneasy. Even Changkyun's older brother, the tension is really tight. "How was work, Chanhyun?" Jia flinch at the old man's voice, Changkyun notice her reaction and lay a hand on her legs to sooth her which somehow works.

"It was good. Kinda busy" Chanhyun answers. Right. Jia met Chanhyun, back then. When she's still taking Ms. Im's lecture. He was 22 and she's 18. Right. He's born in 1994. He's currently a head surgeon in a hospital in Toronto. "Better than being a singer" Jia drop her utensils in surprise, grabbing the attention of everyone. "I'm sorry" She immediately apologize, grabbing her water and sipping it. Changkyun never mentioned him having this kind of relationship with his father and she has a lot to ask. "Stop it, honey" Ms. Im butt in. "Why?"

"I told Changkyun to get business instead if he don't want medical, what did he do? He become a useless singer"

Jia knew she shouldn't just sit and listen to the old man throw insults to Changkyun but when she felt another squeeze on her legs, she look at Changkyun. He slowly shakes his head, assuring her to stop. "Singers these days are useless if you're not recognize. Who cares if you have talent? If people don't know you, you're nothing with your talent" The old man continues. Jia look up on Chanhyun, waiting for the older to speak but it never came. Im Chanhyun just listened.

Right after the difficult and tight tension dinner, Jia excuse herself to breath outside alone. Jia stand by the garden, her head still at the conversation she witness earlier and how Im Chanhyun just let his younger brother be insulted like that. "I didn't expect to see you again" Speaking of the devil, Chanhyun approach her, standing beside her. "You refuse the blind date with me. Turns out, you'll be with Changkyun" The older adds. "Chanhyun" She calls, the older hums as reply.

"Why did you just sit there and let your father insult Changkyun?"

"Have you always live like this?" She turn her frame to look at the older. "How long have you been letting your father compare you and Changkyun together?" She raise a brow. "What?" Chanhyun let out. "I mean, fine, you're a Doctor and he's a singer but it's both a decent job and you both are earning money. What's the purpose of comparing you guys together?" She briefly explains. "I just don't understand why a doctor, who would countlessly save people in a brink of death will just sit there and listen to his father compare him with his younger brother"

"Listen, you don't know anything-"

"I know that. But you're stepping over Changkyun so much like he's a rag. He's as successful as you are so next time, please don't brag about your achievement so much if you can't acknowledged someone with the same level as you. You may be a doctor but he's earning money just like a Doctor's salary. I don't see the need to compare you guys."

"I just can't watch his own family step on him"

"I apologize if I upset you-from what I said today and not regretting that I did not accept that blind date" She bows, earning a glare from the older. "You know why our father compare us? He lives in a society where success is necessary. It doesn't matter if you're earning as much as a doctor, what matter is you have a title before your name. That society kills the inner child of Changkyun. Everyday I would think why he never talk to me again and why he never interact but Jia"

"I envy Changkyun for going after his dream."

"I become a doctor so he could become a singer. But I work so hard, don't you think I should at least hear compliments?" Chanhyun force a smile. "Wow. You want compliments in exchange of Changkyun getting insults? I really don't understand genius people like you. You're manipulative"

"Call me whatever you want, I deserve where I am right now"

"Are you okay?" Jia ask Changkyun who kept one hand on the steering wheel. They have been driving back home for about 10 minutes now and Changkyun has been quiet since then. They're slowly closing home yet not a word escape the male. "Uh..yes" Changkyun stutters pulling over the building and driving over the parking lot. "You sure?"

"Yes"

Jia watch Changkyun enter his house, leaving her in the living room while he run straight to his bedroom. Jia sighs knowing Changkyun is hurt at what he went through today. Slowly, she strip her shoes and follow the male in his room. Jia was not surprise when she spot the room dark with the male lying on the bed, his shirt was long gone and his head buried deep on his pillow. "You're not okay" She speaks, sitting on the corner of the bed. "Talk to me, hm?" She ask shaking the male.

"I need hug, Jia. A long one"