5

The following morning, Emmie found herself staring at her reflection in the mirror. Something she tended to do quite often now. She toyed at the hem of her cardigan, questioning whether or not she had made too much effort with her outfit.

She was only heading down to the music studio, once again, to meet Joe. But she at least wanted to look somewhat put together. She had been living in oversized sweats for the past few weeks and was slowly beginning to grow tired of her own laziness. 

After what felt like forever, debating whether to change, she turned away from the mirror, sinking onto her bed as she laced up her converse. Joe hadn't given her a specific time to meet him. He had just mentioned to turn up whenever she felt was best for her.

Emmie had woken up moderately early, lying in bed until she found the effort to eventually release herself from the warmth of the sheets. Almost every day, she would skip breakfast. She had never been a morning person, so getting up early and making herself some sort of smoothie and french toast was never a priority.

But on this occasion, she found myself craving for something fruity. She wandered round the kitchen, searching for anything to fulfil her needs. Eventually she put together a bowl of fresh strawberries with a few peach slices and a small serving of greek yoghurt.

Emmie sat at the small kitchen island, stirring the contents around in the bowl. She had a few mouthfuls before quickly feeling full. She now understood why she was never a morning person. As much as she could aspire to be, none of this felt normal.

She pushed the bowl away, standing up from the stool. Emmie grabbed her phone from her pocket, deciding to let Joe know that she would be on my way soon. He replied almost straight away, causing her to smile. She couldn't explain it, but she was excited to be seeing him again. She liked spending time with him.

She glanced at herself in the mirror once more, flattening down her hair, in attempt to stop the frizziness. She was probably better tying it back but she decided against it.

•.•.•.•.•

Joe greets her at the door, leading her down the hallway and into the room opposite to where she would normally go. As they enter the room, Emmie notices multiple papers scattered around, similar to before. There is a guitar propped up against the stool. Emmie assumed it was Joe's seeing as they were the only two here.

"How long have you been here?" She questioned, glancing around at his belongings.

Joe shrugs.

"No idea." He chuckles. "I've been here a lot recently. I tend to lose track of time."

She smiled softly, wandering over to the stool where the guitar stood. Joe watches as she perched herself on the edge of the seat, picking up the instrument and positioning it in her arms.

"You play?" He asks eagerly, his eyes lighting up.

"Not exactly." Emmie smiles, shaking her head.

Joe raises his eyebrows.

"I used to watch Caleb play." She told him quietly. "He never got round to actually showing me."

His faces instantly softens.

"That's why this place is so special to you." He concludes.

Emmie nods silently.

"I could teach you sometime?" He offers. She could feel a smile creep onto her face.

"Maybe."

She plucks at the guitar strings, letting out a few sparse notes, before setting it back down. Joe wanders towards her, leaning back against the wall.