27

Joe was at ease. Although there was a long way to go before their friendship would be back to normal, he was glad to have Emmie back. After days of stressing over losing her, she had never even left. He had just been too caught up in his own mind, to realise she still cared. He smiled to himself as he held her in his arms, the two of them silently curled up on the couch together.

Emmie on the other hand, felt terrible for the way she had blamed Joe. She felt terrible for ruining their friendship over something that could've been avoided. Instead of taking his advice, she had turned her back on him and ignored him for the rest of the week. Joe may be a very forgiving person, but it didn't make her feel any better.

"What's going on in that pretty head of yours?" Joe asked, noticing the way her eyebrows furrowed as she played with her bracelet.

"Nothing important." She mumbled back, not wanting to talk about the situation any longer.

"Em." Joe looked at her. "I can tell something's wrong. What is it?"

"I don't know." She began, hesitant to look back at him. "I just hate the way I dealt with things."

He watched as she continued to toy with the jewellery on her wrist, not really focusing on anything else. Joe gently reached his arm out, placing his hand on top of hers to grab her attention once more. She finally looked up at him, a small smile on her face.

"Look, if it really bothers you that much. Let's leave everything in the past." Joe suggested. "Mistakes were made, and that's okay. Nothing will ever change how much I adore you." He winked, making her smile even more.

"You're quite cute when you want to be." Emmie laughed, making Joe grin at her.

"Oh, so you think I'm cute, huh?" He teased leaning towards her with a smirk.

"You know what I mean." She shoved him away, feeling the heat rise to her cheeks as she looked elsewhere. But Joe was amused by this.

"You really think I'm cute?" He continued, letting out a giggle as he continued to annoy her.

"Go away." Emmie laughed. When she turned back to face him, Joe was pouting at her.

"Okay, but in all seriousness." Joe started. "It's okay if you do. We can all understand why." He smirked, watching as Emmie raised her eyebrows at him.

"Oh, I don't know." She played along. "I've always thought Kevin was pretty good looking."

Joe's jaw dropped in shock, as she laughed at his reaction. Emmie quickly jumped up, as he chased after her. She rushed across the room, Joe stopping her outside the bedroom door.

"Are you joking?." He called after her, "You can't just say that and walk away."

"Why?" She laughed. "Did I hurt your feelings?"

"No." He mumbled, narrowing his eyes at her.

"Are you sure?" Emmie smirked.

"No." Joe repeated. "You can't like Kevin- he is.. Ew. And he is married."

She let out a laugh, subsiding their banter. She found it amusing how quickly she could annoy Joe. Even as a joke. Watching the way his eyes widened and his mouth hung open would never get dull. Besides, he would always find ways to embarrass her, so why couldn't she?

These specific moments she shared with him, were the moments she cherished the most. She loved how comfortable they were around each other. How they could completely be themselves, with no judgement. It was refreshing for her, to have someone who really understood her.