54

The Christmas spirit eventually died down after a few days. But Joe still remained as happy as ever. Spending the past few days with his closest friends, and especially Emmie, had brightened his mood. And it had helped him focus his excitement on everything he had planned for her birthday.

The day arrived quicker than he had anticipated, but he had everything planned. And he knew he would be spoiling his girl, whether she liked it or not.

Joe and the girls had grouped together to keep Emmie out of the house for as long as possible. Dani and Priyanka had agreed to have a girls day, spending a few hours at the mall, looking for an outfit for that night. What Emmie didn't know, was that her birthday was going to be a lot more eventful than she would realise.

The three of them wandered through the crowded mall, lights glittering from above as they were deep in conversation. Emmie was surprised to see so many people shopping so soon after Christmas, but New York had always been a busy place after all.

"What exactly are we looking for?" Emmie giggled as her two friends dragged her into the nearest clothing store.

Dani gave her a sarcastic glare before grinning at her, her fingers tracing over the different clothing options that hung on the racks surrounding them.

"Exactly what Joe told us to do." She replied with a smile, "We're here to spoil the birthday girl, and find an outfit for tonight."

Emmie let out a small sigh, still completely oblivious to the events later that day. She wasn't sure what to prepare herself for, considering no one would tell her anything. She knew this was Joe's doing, as it was all he would talk about- whenever he had the chance.

"Okay, so what did you have in mind?" She questioned, turning back to face the two girls. She watched them exchange a sly glance, smiling mischievously at each other before wandering further through the store.

Emmie followed them as they began to unhook outfits from their hangers, asking for her opinion. She screwed her face up at some of the more revealing clothes, not wanting to have all the attention on her. No matter if it was her birthday or not, she wanted to feel comfortable.

"Maybe not too sparkly?" She winced at the overly dramatic sequin covered dress that Dani held up. The brunette quickly nodded, giving her a reassuring smile as she put it back.

It took a while, walking endlessly around the store, starting and clothing that didn't compliment Emmie in the way she would've liked. Until she finally came across a shirt that she couldn't take her eyes from.

She pulled it out to take another look. It was a thin material, with long sleeves, however it was visibly backless. Emmie smiled as she pictured the way it would look. And in her mind, she knew it was perfect. The subtle but delicately pretty outfit she had been looking for. It may be basic, but to her it was just right.

"I've got a pair of jeans that will go perfectly." Dani offered, as she appeared by her side.

"And a few necklaces and bracelets to match." Priyanka winked, making the other two smile. "You'll look gorgeous."

"Are you sure?" Emmie glanced down at the shirt in her hands. "If you think it's too basic.. I can always find something else."

Dani's eyes widened as she quickly hushed her.

"No, no. It's perfect!" She reassured her, "I promise you'll look stunning. Wear whatever makes you most comfortable."

"And if you're still scared of being basic, I'm sure we can add a few accessories to make you sparkle. That way you can feel like yourself, without feeling out of your comfort zone." Priyanka placed a gentle hand on her shoulder.