56

New Years was something Emmie had secretly been dreading

New Years was something Emmie had secretly been dreading. Although on the outside she made it seem as if she was perfectly fine, keeping a smile on her face at all times. But inside she was still stuck in her mind with the loss of her best friend.

Since that day at the beach with Joe, and saying goodbye to Caleb properly, Emmie had been trying to be more open with how she chose to remember him. She would find herself spending more and more time in his room, soaking in every little piece of him that was left. Some days were harder than others, but it was her way of healing.

No one knew about her alone time she chose to spend hidden away from everyone. But she liked it that way. Being able to spend some time where she felt more connected to Caleb, was important to her.

Emmie smiled to herself as she sat on the edge of his bed. Thea had been spending the weekend with her, although she had gone out that morning to get brunch. So she hadn't expected her to be back for a while.

She pressed her palms against the crisp material of the sheets. There was still the large empty space where she was still adjusting to Caleb's absence. But something she had finally come to terms with- was that he wasn't coming back. No matter how hard she prayed for a miracle.

Emmie didn't cry over the situation as often as she used to. But she still felt worn out, still not properly able to process what it really meant. It was as if her mind went numb sometimes, struggling to come to terms with no longer having her best friend there.

She soaked up the silence, feeling at peace with her mind as her eyes traced the familiar room. But somewhere in the silence, she heard the front door open, and the shuffling of footsteps in the lounge.

"Em?" Thea's voice called, causing the blonde to jump from her seat on the bed, smoothing the sheets over before she wandered out into the hall.

Thea smiled as she noticed her, but Emmie's eyes trailed over to where she noticed Joe in the doorway.

"Hey." She smiled as her face lit up. "I thought you were at the studio?"

"I was." Joe nodded, "But I bumped into Thea on the way out.. She said you seemed a little off. Just wanted to check on you."

Emmie glanced at Thea, who shrugged with an innocent smile.

"Only because I said no to going out tonight." Emmie sighed as Thea frowned at her.

"It's New Year's Eve." Thea told her, for at least the tenth time that morning. "Only the best night of the year! I thought maybe you'd want to come out with us girls?"

Emmie pressed her lips together, feeling both pairs of eyes on her as she smiled awkwardly.

"I don't know.." She mumbled, "I'm not really feeling it T. I'm sorry."

Joe quickly noticed the way her expression faltered as she tried to apologise. He smiled with reassurance, giving her a small nod as she glanced back at Thea.