52

Christmas Eve had always been magical. It could quite easily top any day of Emmie's favourites. The excitement the night before is what made it so special to her. Knowing that the next day was going to be filled with love and joyful memories, made her cherish the moments that little bit more.

She rolled over in bed that morning, to be wrapped in Joe's grasp. She half smiled, still in a sleepy daze as she felt the warmth of the bedsheets covering them. She admired his face, the way she always did if she happened to wake up before him. The way his lips were parted only slightly, pulled into a faint smile. The way his curls were clearly messier than usual, but still looked perfect.

She refrained herself from running her fingers through his hair, and instead, she gently pulled back the sheets,

"Come back." His raspy voice suddenly groaned from behind her, reaching out to wrap his arms around her once more, pulling her closer to him.

Emmie placed her hands over his, leaning into his chest as they lie there in silence for a moment. She let her eyes flutter shut, focusing on his steady breaths from over her shoulder. Joe hummed to himself, as Emmie suddenly rolled over, climbing onto his lap with a smile on her face.

"You look tired." She told him, tracing his jawline with her hand. Joe smiled lazily, grasping her hand with his.

"It's early." He whined, glancing towards the window where the blinds were still drawn shut.

"It's also Christmas." She smiled.

"Christmas Eve." Joe quickly corrected with a smug grin. Emmie playfully rolled her eyes in response, burying her head in his chest as she let out a heavy breath.

She heard him chuckle, amused by his own teasing.

"Aren't you excited?" She asked, lifting her head up to look at him.

"Of course I am." Joe smiled, "I get to spend it with you, don't I?"

Emmie pressed her lips together, suddenly feeling shy as she rested her head against him once more.

"I love Christmas." She whispered softly.

"I know you do." Joe confirmed, "I haven't seen you this excited since you finally learned how to play my guitar."

"That was a good day." Emmie agreed, humming in response as she smiled to herself. She quickly jumped up again in Joe's arms, causing him to raise his eyebrows in surprise.

"C'mon, we've had enough sleep. Let's go, we have things to do." She grinned sitting up in his lap, attempting to pull him up by the arms.

Joe was quick with his movements, placing his hands on her waist to keep her planted in his lap. He reached up to her jaw, gently pulling her down towards him to connect their lips. Emmie smiled against him, before pulling away. She raised her eyebrows, climbing off him, as if to refer to what she had originally been saying. Joe sighed, giving in quickly as he threw the sheets back, sliding out of bed with a groan.

Emmie wandered over the window, where the light finally flooded through as she pulled the blinds back. Her eyes sparkled at the sight of snow once again. It wasn't unusual for New York to get snow, which is what made Christmas that little but more magical each year. It may be cold, but it was still beautiful.

Joe appeared by her side seconds laters, wrapping his arms around her waist as he rested his head on her shoulder. Emmie smiled at the contact, feeling the warmth of his body against her back.

"I know what you're thinking." He mumbled, glancing out at the icy weather that blanketed the area surrounding them.

"Me and Caleb would spend hours out there." Emmie smiled to herself as she thought back on the memories. "Snowball fights, snow angels. You name it- we did it. Our hands would be frozen by the time we came back inside."