20

Emmie didn't question the fact that the car pulled up at Joe's apartment instead of hers. She didn't even question the journey back, knowing that they had gone a completely different way to avoid any more press. Her mind was still numb. She was in a constant daze and she didn't know how to snap out. She didn't even take notice when the car finally rolled to a stop. Joe had to call her name a few times before she finally responded.

They stepped out of the car in silence, Joe reaching for her hand as he led her up the stairs. He was worried for her. He had no idea what sorts of thoughts and feelings were rushing through her mind.But he could sense she was scared. So he needed to be there for her.

He watched as Emmie slowly walked around the apartment, not focusing on anything in particular. Not like she usually would. It was as if she had no idea what to do next. He hated the way her face was so solemn. Almost no emotion there at all.
Joe reached forward guiding her to the couch, where he pulled her into another hug. If there was one thing he knew about her, it was that she liked comfort. He ran his fingers through her hair as she leant against his shoulder.

"How did they know all of those things?" She mumbled after a few moments, her voice dry from the constant silence she had sat in.

"I don't know." Joe confessed, his voice soft. "That's just what they do."

Emmie felt him sigh. He hated the situation just as much as she did.

"I was scared." She admitted. "They- they came at me so fast, I panicked. And I couldn't get out."

Joe could feel her becoming anxious again as she replayed the moment in her mind. He held her tighter, wanting to find a way to calm her down. And he knew exactly how take her mind away from things.

"How about, we shower and watch a movie?" Joe suggests, smiling down at the girl who lay comfortably into his side.

Emmie thought about it for moment, and then she nodded. She wouldn't mind spending a few hours with Joe.

"But, just so we're clear." She began, "I'm showering alone."

Joe raised an eyebrow, followed by a smirk.

"Oh c'mon." He teased. "We both know you'd love a shower with me."

Emmie let out a fake gagging noise, watching Joe laugh. She quickly jumped up from where they had been sat, a wide grin on her face as she wandered away toward the bathroom.

That grin that Joe had missed. The one that made her whole face light up.

When Emmie returned, she was in awe. She padded into the lounge, dressed in Joe's oversized shirt he had laid out for her. The first thing she noticed was lights. Candles to be exact. And as she wandered further into the room, she caught a smell savoury, making her smile.

Whilst she had been gone, Joe had put all his effort into making her feel more at home. He had cooked the both of them, a rather large bowl of pasta, topped with mozzarella. Her favourite movie was on the tv screen, waiting to be played. Emmie pouted at the brunette stood before her, her eyes wide.

"You did all of this-" She began.

"For you? Of course." Joe chuckled, wrapping has arm around her.

"How-"

"I may have taken note of your favourite things." Joe grinned. "And I've noticed you don't eat a lot so I thought this might be a good idea?"