38

Emmie glanced over her friend, eyes wide as she began to rummage through the remainders of her closet. Thea grinned at her, continuing to pick out multiple outfits, tossing them across the bed. As soon as she had found out about the week away that had been planned, she rushed over, excitedly planning her engagement

"This is a guys trip, remember?" Emmie reminded her, screwing up her face at the tiny bikini held in Thea's hands. It was a deep red- totally not her colour, and it had barely any coverage.

"That doesn't mean you can't look good for Joe." Thea smirked, wiggling her eyebrows.

Emmie gave her a stern look, causing her to roll her eyes and abandon the idea of the tiny bikini.

"Fine." Thea mumbled, tossing it aside. "Why do they need a guys trip anyway? This should be Joe, taking you on some romantic getaway. Why hasn't he done that yet?" She shook her head.

"I guess he doesn't want to rush things?" Emmie suggested with a shrug. "And I'm okay with that. His relationship with his brothers is more important."

Thea pouted at her words, continuing her search through the selection of clothes.

"You're probably right." She mumbled, "How are things looking for them anyway?"

"From what I can tell, they seem better than they were." Emmie explained. "They have a lot to talk about after these years. I just hope they do it right this time."

"You really like him, huh?" Thea grinned at her friend, wandering towards her, giving her a nudge.

Emmie broke her gaze away, looking down at the pile of clothes on the bed, a shy smile on her face. She hadn't yet explained properly how she felt about Joe, but she knew the way she spoke about him, probably told her a lot.

"Oh my gosh, you do!"  Thea teased, wrapping an arm around her as Emmie gave into her embarrassment.

"I like the way I feel happier around him." She admitted, finally looking up with a smile on her face.

"And that's the way it should be." Thea reassured her, placing her hands on Emmie's shoulders. "You deserve someone as great as Joe. He's a sweetheart."

"I just don't want to ruin things." Emmie mumbled, looking away slightly, causing Thea to frown in confusion.

"Why would you?" She asks.

"I don't know." Emmie shrugged. "I'm just not good with attachment. I care too much. And I love spending time with him- I would be around him all the time if I could. But it's the abandonment I can't do." She looked at Thea. "You know I'm not good with goodbyes."

Thea's eyes softened, quickly catching onto the reference of her late boyfriend. But she wouldn't let the sadness show.

"Why would there be goodbyes?"

"Because that's how it always is." Emmie told her. "That's how it was with Caleb."

"Em." Thea reached for her hand, "What happened to Caleb was one of the worst things we could've gone through. But I promise you, Joe's not going anywhere. He's one in a million, Em. And he would never leave you. Not even if he wanted to."

Emmie chewed on her lip, trying to find sense in Thea's words but she couldn't help but worry. She cared for Joe way to much to watch him leave.

"Anyway." Thea broke her away from her thoughts. "It's only a matter of time before you both realise how great you are together. And you'll be better than ever."

She grinned at her, trying to brighten her mood once more. And Emmie nodded, deciding to let go of the bad thoughts that lingered.

•.•.•.•.•