11

Working in a coffee shop hadn't always been Emmie's desired career. For years before they finished college, she had gushed to Caleb how she wanted to become a professional photographer one day. To her, the polaroid collection was more than just a hobby. It was something personal that she knew she could reflect her emotions upon. It was something she loved. But she had no idea how to progress it into something further.

Caleb had helped her apply for a photography course there in New York. Emmie was unsure at first, but she knew that it could be a step in the right direction. She had decent grades, so there was no pressure there. But when the time cane, and she had been accepted, she pulled herself back. She pondered over the thought of going. Over and over. But she didn't feel good enough. No matter how much Caleb tried to convince her, she felt she wasn't talented enough to enrol in something so major. She knew she would never truly deserve the opportunity.

So she scrapped her dreams, and found something she felt was more suitable. The small coffee shop hidden away from central New York.

•.•.•.•.•

Monday came around quickly. And soon enough, Emmie was back at work. She was happy to be spending time with her work friends once again, even if that meant being buried in bakery orders that needed reorganising. She had been sat here for what felt like hours, scribbling down numbers into her notepad, trying to make sense of the huge stack of papers stood before her. The three of them had been rotating jobs throughout the morning. They found it easier to stay focused that way.

Emmie finished writing down the final few numbers needed, before locking the computer screen. She shut the notepad, placing it back on the the desk. Faye wandered into the room behind her, sending Emmie a soft smile.

"Hey, maybe you should go for lunch." Faye suggests. "You've been here a while."

Emmie raises an eyebrow.

"You'll be alright here?"

Faye nods her head, gesturing for her friend to head out. She knew they'd had such a long morning and Emmie hadn't yet taken a break. She worked hard, always putting the job before herself. And since coming back, Emmie felt as if she had to prove herself all over again. Faye knew to look out for her, in case the stress of the job became to much. Emmie thanks her, hopping down from the chair and grabbing her back as she left the room. She untied her apron, hanging it behind the door. She smiles to Bobby at the counter as she walks towards the entrance door.

The warm summer air hits her skin as she steps into the sunlight, the sun rays bouncing off the sidewalk. Emmie hooks her bag over her shoulder, beginning her stroll down the street. She cherished her work breaks, each time coming outside to take in the atmosphere. She loved the way the leaves would sway in the gentle summer breeze. She loved the way the birds would sing as they danced through the sky. She loved everything about summer. Yet this year she felt as if she had already let it go to waste.

The street was quiet, only a few people around. This was another thing she loved. The way she had this space to herself. Emmie pulls out her phone from her back pocket, silencing the notifications she could hear going off. She knew it was probably some useless emails adding up in her inbox so she decided just to mute them. She keeps her eyes on the screen, walking in a continuous line ahead.

As she lifts her head a few moments later, she stops in her tracks, her eyes widening as she almost sweeps the guy in front of her off his feet.

"Oh my gosh, I am so sor- Kevin?" Emmie raises an eyebrow and the man stood before her.

"Hey Em." He smiles warmly. Kevin stands before her, holding a paper bag and two disposable coffee cups. She hadn't seen him since the night at the club, and she had to admit, he cleaned up a lot better than she did.