12

"Where are you taking me?" Joe asked with a slight smirk as he followed Emmie down the busy streets of New York.

It was currently 8pm, that following evening. The summer breeze had picked up and the sun was beginning to set. Emmie had admired the golden hues that creased the sky, her eyes glowing at the sight. She hadn't told him anything about their plans for that night. When she caught sight of Joe that first time since the weekend, relief flooded her mind. He was still his happy self, the familiar grin painting his face once he noticed the girl stood before him.

"You'll find out soon enough." Emmie grinned at him. She grabbed his hand and continued to lead him down the road. Joe admired her enthusiasm and silently smiled.

Eventually they made it so far, Joe was sure he could make out the horizon at the end of the beach. He read the sign nearby, confirming his thoughts.

Long Beach.

"Em, why are we at the beach?" He questioned. Emmie was silent for moment, but then she smiled.

"I wanted to watch the sunset." She nods towards the sky that was slowly beginning to darken. Joe lets out a small chuckle, but agrees to Emmie's plans. They wander down the beach, the cool air wrapping around their clothes every now and then.

Emmie sits herself down, kicking off her shoes and letting her toes sink into the sand. Joe places himself beside her. They sit there in silence for a moment, glancing out at the ocean. The only sound being the waves crashing against the shore.

"This wasn't the only reason I wanted to see you." Emmie mutters out of the blue. Joe glances at her, curious as to what she had to say.

"I was worried about you." She continues, her voice barely above a whisper. Joe leans forward, his eyes locked on hers.

"You were?"

"Kevin told me, you're having a hard time recently. I just- I panicked and thought the worst." She admits.

Joe's eyes widen. He shook his head, glancing at Emmie's hurt eyes. He knew what she had thought. And it was understandable.

"Since Caleb. I don't know, it's like my mind tells me to expect the worst." She says softly. "He tried to find help, and we missed all of the signs. I just didn't want to be the reason someone else got hurt."

Her voice was quiet, but Joe heard. His expression immediately softened once he noticed her eyes pooling with tears. He instantly guilty for all those bad thoughts circling her head.

"It's nothing like that. I promise." He smiles. Emmie looked at him, nodding although a part of her wasn't sure. She quickly wiped the fallen tears, shrugging back her sadness.

"I just wanted to make sure you were okay." She tells him.

"I am." He reassures her. "I will be."

Emmie's brows furrowed at his last words.

She waited for him to continue, but it seemed as if Joe was struggling to find the right words to say.

"I'm just not myself anymore." He said in a low voice. "I don't know how to be."

Emmie's eyes scanned his face, watching as he kept his stare fixed on the ground below. He held his face in a stern frown, as his hand shook, although he was trying his best to hide it.

Emmie leant forward, placing her hand in his, in attempt to comfort him. She watched as his face softened and a small smile appeared at his lips. He held onto her hand, feeling a sense of relief that she was there with him. They sat in silence for a while. Just the two of them, watching the tide make it's way in, as the sun began to disappear beyond the horizon.