30

Emmie woke up multiple times that night. And each time, she would be in disbelief, still wrapped in Joe's grasp. His hand stayed intwined around hers, as if letting go meant that she wasn't there anymore. Each time she would glance over at him, a smile forming at her lips when she noticed he was still asleep. He looked so peaceful, as if he wasn't secretly hurting on the inside. All his problems seemed to fade away. 

When the morning eventually arrived and the sun began to break through the cracks of the darkened room, Emmie was of course, the first one to wake up. She glanced at Joe another of the many times that night, seeing he was still in his peaceful state. She looked down at the ring that hugged his finger, glistening every now and then, as room began to lighten. Her fingers toyed with the silver jewellery, fascinated by how beautiful it really was.

This small movement was somehow enough to stir him from his sleep, as he inched closer to her for comfort, letting out a low groan as the morning light hit his eyes.

"Good morning." Emmie smiled to herself, as she rolled over to face him. Joe held a frown on his face, clearly proving he wasn't much of an early riser. Or maybe it was the hangover he was about to endure.

"You been awake for long?" He murmured, running a hand over his face as he woke himself up properly. She shook her head in response.

"No, not really." She told him. "You sleep okay?"

"Oh absolutely." He grinned, making Emmie smile.

She couldn't shake the thoughts from the night before. Joe made her feel ways she could never imagine. It had only been recently that she realised how much he really meant to her. Of course, she knew he was special, but it was only now that she began to see him differently. He was her light in the dark times that she went through. He meant more to her than she could ever explain.

They lie there for a little longer, before Joe decided to finally roll out of the bed, stretching his arms out as wide as they could go. Emmie let out a small laugh, watching as he pouted at her, before wandering into the bathroom to freshen up. She sat in bed whilst he disappeared, feeling happier than usual. She knew that it was all down to their little moment they shared, and she could only wonder what would happen from now.

When Joe returned, he instantly noticed the smile that brightened her face.

"You okay?" He asked, approaching her with his own smile plastered on his face.

Emmie hummed in response with a nod. Joe stopped in front of her, sitting down on the edge of the bed as she made room for him.

"I've got a plan." He announced, looking at her. He watched as she raised an eyebrow, curious to what he had to say. "I want to take you somewhere."

"And do I get to know where?" Emmie questioned, leaning towards him with a smile.

Joe rested his head in his hands, pretending to think, as he frowned.

"Nope." He grinned, "Just trust me."

They arrived at Emmie's apartment a while later, Joe following her into the room, really able take in the area this time. He smiled to himself as he glanced around at the scenery. The room perfectly described her. The way the colours were vibrant but subtle at the same time. It was her safe space, and he could see why. The atmosphere there was perfectly calming.

He particularly loved her bedroom, specifically for the fact that it was decorated with all her favourite memories. Each wall was completely covered in polaroids and fairy lights, each photo having a special meaning behind it. He loved the room because it showed who she truly was.