39

As the plane began to glide through the skies, Joe smiled to himself. The colours of the land below smeared into one large green blur, the streetlights and buildings slowly fading out of view.

Joe rested his head against the back of seat, keeping his arm wrapped around the waist of the girl who lie in his lap. He checked on her every so often, smiling at the sight. Emmie looked rather comfortable, curled up against his chest, hugging onto the shirt he wore. Their hands were still laced together, although her grip wasn't as tight now she had fallen asleep.

He wasn't sure how long how they had been flying for, but it had been a while. He glanced over to where his brothers sat, watching as Kevin sat with his arm around Dani, a small glass of what looked like alcohol in his hand. Nick sat opposite, chatting away to Priyanka, the both of them with a wide smile on their faces.

He was glad everyone was getting along, and he was hopeful that he could finally be apart of that too. He was happy know that he was spend the week becoming closer to bis brothers once again.

Joe glanced down at Emmie, and then let his eyes wander to the window, where the skies were blue and the thin lines of clouds passed by. His fingers traced the blonde hair that fell over her shoulder as he kept his eyes on the glass pane beside them. He quite enjoyed the peaceful moment that fell over him, feeling himself become more and more aware of the daze he was pulling himself into.

He closed his eyes for a moment, smiling to himself as he soaked up the silence that surrounded him. He felt Emmie's breathing against his leg, tracing her shoulder with his hands. He admired how quickly she had gotten herself comfortable, easily able to fall asleep within his arms. It wouldn't hurt for him to take a nap too. He knew he probably needed it, considering how badly the jet lag would hit if he didn't.

And with that, he let his eyes grow heavy, shifting slightly in his seat as he let sleep take over.

•.•.•.•.•

After what felt like the longest sleep he had ever taken, Joe was slowly awoken, to be faced with Emmie, who smiled softly at him, her hand on his shoulder.

"Joe." She whispered, "We're here."

He covered his eyes with hands, feeling the lights above stinging as his vision became clearer. He let out a small groan, stretching his legs out in front of him. He frowned slightly at the realisation- that he was supposed to wake her up. Not the other way around.

"I'm sorry." He mumbled, his voice deep and raspy. "It was only supposed to be a small nap."

He couldn't help but smile hearing Emmie laugh at his words. She shook her head at him, reaching for his hand and pulling him to his feet. Joe quickly found his balance, placing both hands on either side of her waist as he smiled down at her.

"C'mon." She told him, her voice soft. "The others are waiting."

Joe smiled a lazy smile, letting the blonde lead the way, grabbing one of her smaller bags on the way out. She held his hand down the few steps that led them onto the land surrounding them. The first thing they noticed, was how much more humid the air was. The breeze was warm, their shirts sticking to their skin as they stumbled through the sun rays of the Cuban heat.

"It's beautiful." Emmie breathed out, taking in the colourful view before them.

The plane had landed in the midst of a pretty empty land of tall grass, but not far from the civilisation that surrounded them. Each building soaked up a different colour of paint, plastering a rainbow of colours stretched as far as they could see. The trees were tall, scattered around each building, swaying in the breeze that blew every so often.