15

When Emmie returned home that night, it was late. The sun had set over 2 hours ago, the wind had picked up, and the stars were shining down from the dark sky. She had left the music room, a lot later than planned. It wasn't until someone appeared and told her they were locking up, that she decided it was time to head home.

Emmie hadn't wanted to go so soon. She found comfort in Joe's room. She could spend hours looking through the photos stuck on the wall, wondering how magical the boys' childhoods were. She wished she had amazing memories like they had. Although she smiled when she realised, her and Joe kept hold of their memories in the same way. Through polaroids.

She loved the way he told his life story through all these different photos. From birthdays, to their first big show as a band, it was all there. It intrigued her a little. She felt more motivated to pick up her camera once more and continue her own scrapbook of memories. But the one thing that held her back, would always sit there in her mind. Caleb.

The one reason she didn't take photos anymore. She felt it was an insult to him, if she made memories without her best friend. No matter how hard Emmie tried to be happy without him, she would always feel like a part of her was missing.

She would always find herself glancing over their old photos together. It hurt to look at, but it made her smile every now and then. Emmie could never fathom how Caleb was no longer here. She wanted nothing more than to relive those happy days with him again.

•.•.•.•.•

She flopped onto her bed, completely exhausted from the many hours she had been on her feet. Emmie had planned to undress and head straight to bed, worrying about all the errands she had to run the next morning. But apparently, Joe had different plans for her.

The second she turned away from her bedside table, her phone began to ring. Emmie frowned, expecting it to be a late night call from Thea. But she was wrong.

"Emmie." Sang an overly enthusiastic voice, as she accepted the call.

"Joe?"

"Yes! It's me, Joe!" He let out a rather loud laugh, followed by a small giggle. Emmie found herself smiling, but had no idea why he was so happy.

"Is there a reason you're calling at this hour?" Emmie laughed, glancing at the clock which read 10.17 pm. It wasn't incredibly late, however she hadn't been expecting the call.

Joe hummed to himself for a moment, as if he had completely forgotten the question. But then he finally spoke up.

"Yes!" He said suddenly, going quiet again. "I haven't seen you in a week. And that, is a long time to not see someone."

Emmie quickly noticed his words seemed muddled, and he had a hard time focusing on the call. She also noticed how incredibly happy he seemed. She found it quite random for a Monday night.

"Are you okay?" She asked. Another giggle was heard from the other end of the phone.

"Yes." Joe repeated. "I've been making mim- mimsotas? Sodas? Yeah, thats stuff." He rambled. "And then I had one, or maybe two. Or was it three?"

Emmie laughed under her breath, listening to Joe count the amount of drinks he could've possibly had that night. She wasn't too worried. From what she could tell, Joe was a happy drunk, or maybe slightly tipsy. She remembered the way he had been extremely giddy that night at the club, and now he was the same. He wouldn't stop talking. But that didn't bother her.