5

×Angie POV×

6 months ago

I knew that my little sister was hiding something from me. Her smile didn't reach her eyes like it used to and she was irritated, jumpy. I noticed weeks ago, I just figured It had been because of her breakup, so I didn't pressure her. But now I began to suspect that there was something entirely else going on here.
I found my sister in the kitchen, almost agressively stirring the dough for whatever pastry she invented next. White chocolate infused cinnamon rolls, vanilla -mocha cupcakes or even cheesecake with a "strawberry twist": The sky was the limit. That's just how she challenged her creativity, although this time her process seemed to involve beating the dough up.

"Lenea, you really gotta talk to me.", I awkwardly started the conversation. Usually, she was the one to openly talk about feelings. Len was always so comfortable with her own sentiments, she knew when to set boundaries and when to ask for help or comfort. My sister was the kind of person who would ask for a hug when she needed one. I always admired her for that. It felt weird that the roles had reversed.

"Ya, I know silly. We need to go to Italy.", She mumbled, not even looking up. Very concentrated, she added something that looked like berries to the dough.

"What, why?", I wanted to know. Did she find a case in Italy?

"I've never been.", she simply stated as if that would make any more sense.
It's something she did in the past weeks: Coming up with crazy challenges and adventures which weren't hunting-related.
"Let's break into the public pool at night."
"Angie, let's drink through the whole menu at this crappy bar and sing charaoke."
"Let's pretend with our American accents that we're famous actors from Florida."
"Why don't we sneak into Buckingham Palace?"
And we did every insane thing she suggested so far- except for the Buckingham Palace one.
I figured after the break up from her girlfriend she needed the distraction but I couldn't shake off the feeling she just checked off a bucket list.

"Cut the crap, Len. You're acting like you're dying.", I confronted her. She flinches. Her whisk shacked in her hands.
No. This couldn't be. I cleared my throat, already anticipating the worst.

"What's going on? Are you ill?" I took a few steps forward, reaching her shoulder. Her red curls, which she inherited by her father, hid her face from me. I slowly put one of her most stubborn strands behind her ear and moved her chin into my direction.

"I made a deal.", she said slowly, her voice quiet. The way she revealed it sounded final, like a death sentence. I already knew it was a demon deal. This was worse than I thought, worse than an illness. Normally, the demon grants you a wish, you get ten years to live and then the hellhounds rip you into hell. This couldn't be true, Len wasn't stupid enough to actually make a deal with a demon. Unless it was a long time ago..

"When? When did you make the deal?", I screamed at her, not being able to hold back anymore. If I didn't know it any better, I would say my heart was about to explode in my chest. This had to be some kind of twisted, sick nightmare. In my life as a Hunter I was often confronted with situations that would put ordinary people into a coma, just out of fear. Now I wasn't even feeling fear anymore, it was raging panick. Why the fuck would she hide this from me?

"Almost ten years ago. To save my dad." She looked at me apologetically, a single tear running down her face and dropping into the dough. Ten year ago, she must've been 10, maybe 11 years old at most. A child.
This wasn't fair.
I didn't even have a chance to be angry at her, in that moment I just started to cry too.