58

×Angie POV×

Sam got up: Spinning, scanning, scared.

After the Djinn revealed why Lucifer was breaking out, the younger Winchester looked like he was about to go insane.

Lilith being the last seal, we would've never been able to see that coming. Although I realized the angels must've known. Zachariah was certainly one of them, just a nasty and entitled piece of shit.

And I'd be upset about that if only Dean didn't already consume all of my feelings at the moment.

I already thought Sam's reaction to Lucifer breaking out because of us was intense but hearing that his brother was certainly dying seemed to crush him.

When we were done with our explanation which included what we were up to, he was feral.
Never have I seen Sam this angry.

He lost his brother once already and now he had to experience that again. And I stood here telling him I wouldn't even remember any of it.
That I was taking the easy way out because I was weak.

He kept raking a hand through his hair, shouting and looking everywhere but at me. I wasn't sure if he was listening to the things he said because I sure did.

Ultimately, there was nothing he could come up with that I hadn't already thought of accusing myself with. I was my worst enemy, after all.

I was surprised the Djinn was remaining so still, so calm.
He was watching us, surely he was listening too but he didn't seem to enjoy this any more than we did.

Sam was begging me not to leave him too and it almost made me reconsider. Almost.

Almost. Almost. Almost.
The word haunted me. It was so ugly, so hurtful.

Dean would've almost survived if he went into the church a minute later.

We would've almost been happy.

We almost made it.

"Sam, you're my best friend. We can catch up again. I know we will.", I told him softly.
I stepped forwards, leaning against his chest.
My clothes were drenched in blood, some of it being the demons and lots of it being mine too.

I had expected Sam to push me away but he was holding me so tight that I thought he might never let me go.

"I understand. I understand why you have to kill Alastair but don't do it like this.", he muffled into my hair. I wasn't sure if his body was trembling or mine.

"I have to take the chance.", I cried out, feeling like the worst person on the planet.
Because that's what I was.

But only those past minutes have dried me out so much. I didn't think I breathed properly since the Djinn told me Dean was gonna die.
I wasn't prepared for that kind of grief, I just wasn't.

"Is there any possibility I might remember anyways?", I asked the Djinn and he shook his head.

"I've been around for as long as memories exist and noone ever remembered.", he revealed.
I didn't know if I hated those odds or if I should be thankful that I at least had clarity.