7

×Angie POV×

As skilled as I was at completely ignoring my body's needs, I came to an inevitable point: I had to drink something, brush my teeth, take a shower and change my clothes. Also, the lack of weapons on me was really concerning.

Even here on this bus, that I only got on by pickpocketing some gullible, old lady at the diner, I felt incredibly paranoid. There were only two things left I was actually sure of.
1) If I turned around one fucking time more to check if there were any threads behind me, the creepy middle-aged dude who chewed his gum in the most disgusting way I've ever seen will think I'm interested in him and come over.
2) I had to go somewhere safe.

Growing up, Len and me didn't really have a "home". As a Hunter, you're always on the road and being the child of a hunter wasn't really that different. We always had to adapt, mostly around Europe: Germany, France and of course our place of birth, England.
Luckily our mother, Isabel, was destined to inherit so much money that you could easily mistake the digits in her bank account for a phone number. I'd call us lucky if only my whole family wasn't already dead.

The last one and a half year before our death, Len had worked as a nurse besides hunting because Isabel was dead and couldn't really do anything against it. Len envisioned to catch up college one day and becoming a doctor. At least that's what she told me, it was always a kind of an "if the opportunity presents itself"- thing.

Now I knew better. Len must have intentionally prefered becoming a nurse because she knew she wouldn't live long enough to finish her doctors degree. All this time she planned her life on a timer and I never knew. She was a bad liar, always had been and somehow she managed to keep the demon deal from me.

I really didn't know if I was angrier at her for not coming to me or angrier at myself for not seeing the obvious. Len must've avoided the truth herself, otherwise I couldn't really explain to myself how she lived with that knowledge and didn't break apart.

Just thinking about my sister was a kind of hurt I wasn't able to manage or hold back at all. It rolled over me in the most inopportune moments and I couldn't imagine what I would feel in about 30 minutes when I got to the house we stayed at here in Havana before our deaths. But there was no way around it. Sooner or later I had to face the truth: My little sister, the person with the most passion, the purest dreams and the spirit of life in herself, was never coming back home.

It won't be the same without her. It was Len who gave every place we'd ever lived at a personal touch. Small adjustments, like flowers, colors and pictures, which in the end made the difference between a building and a home. And now I felt like I had taken all of that for granted.

Given the circumstances, me being a supernatural being and my sister being a huntress, I should have seen it coming. Should have realized our fragility. But with Len it never felt like that. It was us against the world and we were damn good at it.

This bus would've been perfect for a breaking down main- character kind of moment. The kind where the hero is looking outside the bus window, seeing the landscape passing by and softly sobbing. But I wasn't the hero and I was certainly not crying in public. If I started now, I didn't know if I could ever stop. Feeling numb was the only thing left for me.

The bus didn't have air-conditioning and almost every seat was taken, so the combined body heat from every sweaty person in here just kind of lingered in the air. If I was a normal person, I'd have taken off my hoodie by now but I wasn't comfortable showing my skin, my figure to anyone. Alastair made damn sure of that. As much as I didn't want to let him win this wasn't the time to confront those kind of issues.

Fuck, I should've really drank that coffee in the diner. But back there my throat felt like someone took it out and put a knot in it. I wondered if the conversation could have went any differently if Castiel showed up alone. Or at least without Dean. His brother really wasn't the issue here, Sam even brought up the effort to leave me a way of contacting him. Not that I took that into concideration.

I didn't care if it wasn't tactical of me to deny working together with Castiel and the brothers.
After all, they were more like a crazy squad containing an angel doubting heaven and two hunters from which one got rescued from hell and deeply despised me.
Contacting them again was really out of question.
Nevertheless, I couldn't throw the napkin away yet- just in case.

Despite every bone in my body feeling like they were misplaced, I held my head up high while getting off that forsaken bus. It would be still about 2 and a half kilometers to our rented house. I knew for sure all the bills were payed way in advance so everything still had to be completely untouched.

Every house we owned or rented was heavily warded against demons, all the houses were cleansed from ghosts by Len herself and protected by a complex series of technical security systems. Honestly, I always thought it was over the top since we weren't that protected on the road either. Now I was grateful for the eye recognition since it didn't mean I needed a key.

I dragged myself all the way to the house, earning judgy looks by the high society neighborhood I crossed through. Isabel always prefered to stay amongst those circles, asserting her dominance by buying the snobbiest building available. Damn, even the mailman looked like he was bathing in superciliousness.

When I saw the white facade on the side of the road, I didn't know if I wanted to get in and finally catch a break or tear the whole place down. Before I could even give it a second thought, I felt a sharp pain in my heart. I fell to my knees, realizing too late the mailman must've been a demon.

Ignoring my pain, I quickly got back up, running towards the security fence on which borders the warding was built. The black-eyes demon cut my way off, laughing in my face like a madman.

"Ya don't wanna play Angelia?", he asked with a sinister voice coming out of the body he possessed. I didn't have time for an exorcism, for now I just needed to get in.

"Sure, just wait here a sec.", I responded while kicking him right into his stomach. He tried to fight me off, scratching and biting into my skin resulting in a way too physical contact. Something in me snapped. I wanted this thing gone and I wanted it now. Grabbing the blade I still had, I began stabbing at every body part in reach.

If this were a case and if I had a clear mind right now, I'd try not to harm the host body. I was already past that point but at least I seemed to win. Suddenly I got zapped through the air, ramming onto the concrete ground. More demons.

This was bad, very bad. I gasped for breath, my pain lacerating my head, streams of blood flooding out of the scratches from the mailman-demon. They were using their powers on me. By this point I didn't even know how many of them there were.

I could feel their presence, feel them circling me in, coming closer with every second and it made me sick.
"Come on now, angel. Ya didn't think Alastair would send me alone?", the mailman belittled me. I didn't even react.
"We saw you connected with Dean, the other one that got away. Our king is pissed. He wants his two play toys back."
"Who is the traitor?", I had to ask.
"You're a traitor. To humanity. A dirty one too according to Alastair."
Me being helpless needed to stop immediately. If I froze any time someone mentioned the hells torturer, I wouldn't come far in my mission.

For the first time during this fight I felt like I couldn't win. Not without weapons, not against so many of them. And I knew they weren't that powerful individually, they weren't the kind of ancient evil like Alastair. They were sent to mock me, scare me off.

My ears were already ringing and my instincts were shoving over me like a broken dam. I let all of that magical buildup in myself go and then I ran the last metres towards the fence.