Forty-one

Alyx's POV

"What are we gonna do now? The Governors been stalking us, keeping us from leaving. He's gross and I hate him. When I was at Woodbury, you wanna know what he said to me while I was bleeding on the floor? You wanna know? He said, 'looks like you need a hand'. Are you freaking kidding? I'm the only one allowed to make amputee jokes about myself. I'm outraged. Frustrated. This is ridiculous. How are we gonna get food and water? We're just gonna rot here? Until he gives up?" Miles ranted. He paced back and forth in his cell, running his hands through his mop of brown hair.

I sat on the bottom bunk with my legs crossed and back against the wall. I had a book in my lap, The Passage by Justin Cronin. The cover was worn out and wrinkled, pages crinkled and ripped, the black cover hanging out by bits of tape. I was over half way through when Miles snapped his fingers in me and Sam, who was seated next to me, faces.

"Are you listening?" He asked. I answered without taking my eyes off the paper.

"Yup, Stalking, basic necessities, rotting bodies, I hear you." I said. Sam hummed along, as he was engulfed in a book as well. Something about mythology.

Miles sighed and sat down on the bed across the room. He sighed and groaned, leaning his head on the wall behind him.

We sat in silence for a few minutes, I kept reading as he sat across from me. He was staring, impatiently tapping his leg with his fingers. He groaned again, rubbing his eyes with his fist balled up. I looked up from my book to find him staring at me again.

"You wanna do something?" I asked. He nodded his head eagerly.

"Go run some laps, kill a baby cow, find the cure for cancer."

"Find the cure for this infection." Sam suggested.

"Yes, listen to demon boy." I said.

"Maybe he should Just stop sitting her like a toddler who didn't get to go outside for playtime." Sam continued.

"That sounds like a fantastic idea." I took a deep breath and rolled my eyes. "Go!"

He dashed out of the room and down the stairs.

"What are you doing?" I heard Glenn ask.

"Running laps!" Miles answered, his voice fading as he ran farther away. I laughed to myself and continued reading.

Hours later, I heard footsteps coming towards my cell. Carl ran in, covered in sweat and dirt.

"What's up, bud?" I asked causally.

"Andrea's here." He said. Sam looked at me with his eyebrows raised. I put my book down, grabbed his wrist, and raced out of the cell.

*-*-*

"Where's the rest of you?" Andrea asked. "Shane?"

We all shook our heads.

"Lori?" She paused, seeing us all lowering our heads. "Rick... Carl." She gave a sad look to Carl, who wiped his eyes and broke eye contact.

"Alyx?" She searched the crowd until she spotted me. She let out a sigh of relief, since I was missing when she got separated.

"This is where you all live?" Andrea asked. We all nodded quietly.

"Can I go in?" She asked, wandering towards the door.

"I won't allow that." Rick said, stepping in front of Andrea.

"I'm not the enemy, Rick." She defended.

"You say that now, but just days ago your boyfriend ran through our fences with a dump truck and shot us up." I budded in. She turned to me and gave me a dirty look.

"He said you fired first." She said, looking surprised.

"Well he lied." Daryl grumbled from across the room. There was a small pause before she started speaking again.

"I didn't even know you were in Woodbury until after the shootout! I came as soon as I found out."

"That was days ago." Glenn said, rolling his eyes.

Michonne, who had been lurking around the room while Andrea was talking, stepped forward. She leaned against the wall, a smug expression written clearly on her face. Once Andreas attention turned from us, Daryl took a seat on the table next to him. Slowly, I side stepped and sat on the chair next to him.

"What have you told them?" Andrea questioned Michonne.

"Nothing." She replied smoothly, shrugging her shoulders nonchalantly.

"I don't get it." Andrea started to explain her self. "I left Atlanta with you people and now I'm the odd man out?"

I bit my lip and clenched my fist at my sides. She was pissing me off.

"The Governor almost killed Michonne and he would've killed us." Glenn said, starting to explain. Andrea cut her off, lifting her hand towards Merle.

"With his finger on the tigger! Isn't he the one who kidnapped you? Beat you?" As if giving up, she covered her her mouth and shut her eyes tightly. "Look," she continued, dropping her hands, " I cannot excuse or explain what Phillip has done, but I am here trying to bring us together. We have to figure this out."

"There's nothing to work out." Rick soar harshly. "We're going to kill him. I don't know how or when, but we will."

From the corner of my eye, I could see Miles smile, but quickly cover it up with a cough.

"We can settle this." Her voice sounded pathetic and defeated. "There is room in Woodbury for all of you."

"Over my dead body." I muttered quietly, so no one could hear.

"For the first time since Andrea arrived, Merle opened his mouth, probably to spit a nasty comment at someone.

"Ye should know betta than tha'." I was surprised when no insults left his mouth, but also extremely relived.

"What makes you think this man wants to negotiate?" Hershel said. "Did he say that?"

"No..." Andrea said, bowing her head. I heard a scoff from behind me. Probably Dean.

"Then why are you here? If he didn't send you here, maybe your just making everything worse!" Dean was fed up. This really isn't his place to be talking, but he was right, so we let him continue.

Andrea scowled at him. "These people are my friends." She said, gesturing to all of us. "I was with them much longer than you have. I came here to tell you that he's gearing up for war. The people are terrified. They see you all as killers. They're training to attack."

"Tell you what..." I said. "Next time you see Philip-"

"Tell him we're gonna take his other eye." Daryl finished my sentence, throwing me a reassuring glance and nodding his head.

"We've taken his shit for too long. If he wants a war, he's got one." Glenn threatened.

Andrea turned to Rick with pleading eyes.

"If you don't sit down and try to work this out, I don't know what's going to happen. He has a whole town. Look at you." She threw her arms in the air. "You've already lost so much. You can't stand alone anymore."

"Watch me." I mutter, standing up and walking out of the common room and outside.

*-*-*

hello my naughty children it's murder time