𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝟺

EMERY HAD BEEN RIGHT

the group had been out at the surf shack, emery and john b joined them not long after peterkin left. john b was looking out toward the water while emery was putting little braids in mara's hair.

"look, i'm calling it off." john b spoke up. "peterkin said if we stay out of the marsh she'll help me with dcs."

"and your believed her, john b? you believed a cop?" jj asked in bewilderment.

"yes, i believe her, jj!" john b shouted, grabbing a stick and tossing it to the side, narrowly missing emery who quickly ducked.

"watch yourself!" she yelled, but john b wasn't paying attention to her.

"and it doesn't help that your ass was the one shooting a gun." john b continued, jj throwing rocks at the water in the distance.

"y'know what i should've done?" i should've just let topper drown your ass." jj fired, making mara look up.

"oh, because topper was gonna drown me?" john b asked.

"sure looked like it." jj responded, throwing his last rock into the water and starting to trudge over to the surf shack.

"funny." john b stated flatly, jj leaning on the beam of the shack.

"they always win, man." he said bitterly. "kooks versus pogues- they always, always win!" he shouted, punching a buoy that was draped over the doorway.

"hey, it's okay!" kiara tried, jj shaking his head.

"no it's not! if they don't want us in the marsh, that means there's something valuable down there, and you know it." jj told john b. "and i understand why you guys are out, pope's the golden boy and the rest of you are already rich as fuck anyway, why would you guys bother?"

"jj, this is ridiculous." emery spoke up. "do you want john b to get shipped off? because if we follow whatever shitty plan you have, that's what's going to happen."

"john b and i have nothing to lose!" jj yelled, turning to the brunette boy. "and i know it wasn't always that way for you."

"i'm not talking about this." john b said. "emery's right."