𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝟸𝟹

THE POGUES WERE ON THE DOCK

jj and mara had shown up in the early morning, telling emery the story of kiara and pope's massive fight they had had at tannyhill, how kiara wanted pope to give up his scholarship- mara was on his side, of course- and how they had dropped them off and hadn't heard from them since. the two had gone to emery's house, where levi had locked himself in his room.

oh yeah, and they lost the gold.

"you're sure it's all gone?" emery asked when kiara arrived with ainsley, the two girls sitting on the railing on the far end of the dock.

"every bar." john b confirmed. "the whole enchilada."

"i hate jackson." emery muttered, leaning her head back against the railing. "i'm really sorry, b. i had no idea he was back."

"it's not your fault." john b reassured, but he suddenly tugged the cast off his wrist, tossing it down on the dock. "i mean, it's not like i was expecting a happy ending or some shit."

"john b-" kiara started, but the boy cut her off.

"what, kie?" he snapped annoyedly. "it's a hairline fracture, i'm fine."

"you don't know that." she replied.

"i'm fairly certain he would, it's his arm." emery snapped.

"it's fine, see?" john b replied, holding his hand up and wiggling his fingers in the air like a smartass, making emery giggle.

"guys! guys!" someone yelled from behind them, everyone turning to see pope bolting down the dock wearing a suit. emery had completely forgotten about his interview, suddenly feeling guilty she hadn't been able to support him during it.

"pope?" mara questioned, sitting up as the boy stopped in front of them, panting heavily.

"oh! oh! oh god, i ran all the way here!" he exclaimed, resting his hands on his knees and panting heavily. "jb, im sorry about last night, okay? i was a dick."

"it's fine." john b said, no emption in his voice, making emery look at him concernedly.

"but i have information that is tactically relevant." pope added. "so as im walking into my interview, my dad says he was gonna go down to the airstrip to cut palms for cameron's big plane because it was too heavy, and needed a longer landing strip to take off. so, im sitting in my interview and im thinking 'why would cameron's plane need a longer air strip?' what could be weighing it down?"