𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝟸𝟾

SALTWATER

SALTWATER.

it flooded emery's senses, filled her lungs, seeped into every crack and pore of her skin.

she felt the burn as it crawled up her throat, her head throbbing as she began coughing, saltwater pouring out of her lungs and back into the ocean. she looked around, a small figure in the water not far away.

"mara?" she called, voice hoarse from how much salt had just passed her raw throat. "mara?"

"emery?" john b called from behind her, the melville girl turning to see him holding onto a rope hanging off the boat. the phantom had flipped, but somehow managed to stay afloat.

"john b!" emery yelled, mara suddenly stirring at the other end of the boat. she was having a heavy couching fit, and emery turned to see, despite the life jacket the girl was wearing, she was struggling to stay afloat.

"ems? john b?" she called between coughs, emery already grabbing her by the strap at the top of her life jacket and pulling her towards them. the steven's girl immediately latched onto john b, who put one arm around her and another around emery. the three looked around, a sudden sense of dread washing over them.

they were in the middle of nowhere.

they couldn't see land in any direction. they were stuck in the middle of the ocean.

"guys." mara whispered, her voice trembling as she gripped john b's shirt tighter, the routledge pulling both girls impossibly closer to him.

everything hurt, their muscles ached from being tossed around by the waves all night- it was a miracle they were even still together.

"guys." emery said suddenly, eyes wide. just over the horizon, a cargo ship had come into view.

"guys, there's a boat." john b whispered, mara's grip tightening as john b shoved her off. "i'm not a fucking jungle gym, get off me."

mara flipped him off, instead moving to hold onto emery, who allowed the girl to do so while john b began to wave his arms around, all three of them yelling.