𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝟽

JOHN B CALLED THAT NIGHT

he called emery around six, just before the sun went down telling her to let the others know to be ready outside her house, that he'd be there in five and wasn't waiting for anyone. emery, jj, mara, and levi were all standing at the end of the driveway when john b barely stopped to let them in before driving off before they could shut the doors.

"you guys mind if i sit this one out?" jj speaks up from the back. "it's been a weird day, a lot of shits gone down, i just want to lay low."

"we should be making you guys do this yourselves as payback for leaving us at that lighthouse." emery told the boy flatly, looking over at john b, who hadn't said a word since they got in the van. she gently grabbed his right hand and ran her thumb over his knuckles to get his attention.

"you good?" she mouthed, the brunette next to her nodding.

"you want some?" jj was asking pope in the back seat, emery turning to see the blonde offering his friend a joint.

"i'd keep the signal clear." pope deadpanned, having so interest in trying drugs with his interview for his scholarship being so close.

"you see, your problem is is that your never let lose." jj started, beginning to ramble about how pope was always too uptight.

"look, i was wrong about the lighthouse, okay?" john b shouted suddenly. "i was wrong about a lot of things. but i'm right about one thing. my dad is trying to tell me something."

"dude, what the hell happened in the two hours we left you unattended?" mara asked from the back seat, john b glancing at her in the rear view mirror.

"i burnt like half the shit in my house and realized that i might actually be smart." john b announced.

"half of that sounds right." ainsley retorted from the back seat as the twinkie stopped in front of the wrought iron fence of the local cemetery.

"this isn't sketchy at all." emery deadpanned.

"yeah, what was all that about being smart?" levi added as he and his sister were the first ones to climb out of the van, john b reaching into the back and passing everyone a flashlight or headlamp.