𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝟷𝟻

MARA WAS AT WORK AT HEYWARDS WITH JJ, POPE, AND KIE

the day after the movies, heyward had told pope to enlist the help of his friends to work the registers at heyward's, the four who weren't mia- no one had heard from john b and emery since they left the melville house the day before- were all currently working while discussing the previous night's events.

"don't let it get in your head, bro. there's three of them and two of us." jj told pope. "that's some typical kook shit right there."

"hell yeah." kiara said from behind them.

"what was your thought process, using your head?" jj asked.

"i don't know, man. i just kind of acted off instinct." pope replied.

"ainsley's attempt at me was pretty pathetic." mara added.

"i was a cornered animal." pope defended himself, but heyward stepped into the doorway.

"pope!" he called. "there's someone here to see you."

shoupe stepped into the doorway, looking at pope with displeasure written all over his face.

"i've got a warrant here for destruction of private property." shoupe announced, mara's breath hitching in her throat.

shoupe began to read pope's rights to him, jj and heyward shouting in protest as the group followed the man out the door, heyward also shouting that there had to have been a mistake, that shoupe couldn't just arrest his son.

jj looked at mara, who all in truth looked terrified. pope couldn't get arrested, he'd lose his scholarship. that scholarship was his ticket out, how he got to be a coroner, do what he had wanted with his life, and he was about to lose it because topper couldn't handle the consequences of his own actions.

"it wasn't him!" jj yelled. everyone stopped, all eyes suddenly on the blonde boy. "it was me. he tried to talk me out of it, but i was mad because he had just been beaten up. i was so sick of those assholes from figure eight that i lost my shit." jj said, turning to pope and smirking. "i can't let you take the blame for something i did. you've got too much to lose."