𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝟺𝟷

THE COURTROOM WAS LOUD

it certainly wasn't doing emery's throbbing head any favors as she sat there waiting for john b to be brought to the bench. she was sitting between jj and levi, the maybank with an arm slung around mara and his knee bouncing anxiously, levi simply had his hands folded and was staring at the floor.

finally, after what seemed like an eternity, john b was brought out to stand in front of the judge, who proceeded to bang her gavel on the desk in front of her to quiet the room down.

"john booker routledge?" she confirmed, her voice echoing around the now silent room. "pursuant to the north carolina statute section fourteen, you are charged with murder in the first degree with aggravated circumstances. if convicted, the maximum sentence would be the death penalty." she said dryly, tapping her gavel on the table once more.

emery's jaw fell agape at the judges words, the melville shoving herself to her feet, jj doing the same. around them, everyone else began to stand and speak again, some shouting in protest while others seemed rather happy with the thought of a child being killed for something he didn't do.

"your honor, he's seventeen!" jj yelled over the ruckus.

"stop." kiara told the maybank firmly, but he kept going.

"quiet!" the judge demanded.

"he's seventeen! are you kidding me?" jj continued.

"you're good." pope was telling his friend, but jj wasn't listening.

"hey, john b, we're gonna figure it out." the blonde called, john b turning to his friends, all in truth looking terrified.

emery shoved past levi and pope to get to the aisle that led to the front of the room where john b was still standing.

"john b!" emery yelled, the routledge turning towards her immediately. tears were running down her face again, john b wanting nothing more than to turn around and give her a hug. however, the cop stepping in front of her to push her back shattered his hopes immediately. "no- get off me!"