𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝟸𝟷

EMERY'S HEAD WAS IN HER HANDS

the pogues were all sitting around a table at the wreck after everything that had happened at barry's. mara hadn't said a word since jj left. emery's leg was bouncing anxiously under the table like it had the entire ride home.

"look... he'll come around, alright?" john b said, breaking the suffocating silence that had been present since they arrived at the restaurant. "he's doing a jj thing."

"do you think he'll go home?" kiara asked, mainly to emery, who had her hands folded together and placed over her mouth. the girl nodded slowly.

"come on, ems." pope attempted. "there's about a zero percent chance he goes home."

"pope, you don't know." emery snapped. "this money- paying off his restitution himself? he probably skipped to luke's, he sees this as his only chance to make his dad proud."

john b reached across the table, grabbing emery's hand and squeezing it reassuringly.

"you okay?" he muttered, the girl across from him nodding slowly. "are you sure?" he asked again, and emery hesitated, but eventually slowly shook her head.

"i can't believe he left." she whispered, looking up at mara, who hadn't said anything since she yelled jj's name at barry's. "mar, come with me and levi. we're gonna go to my house for a few hours."

mara didn't say anything, she just nodded.

"okay, it's too dangerous to pawn this thing off piecemeal." pope started. "we need to get the rest of it, then put it into a safe or a vault or something until we can find someone who we can trust."

"if lee, emery, and mara all come we can get the winches set up tonight, we'll have it out by tomorrow afternoon." ainsley said.

"i have plans." john b said, regretting the words immediately after they left his mouth.

"what do you mean you 'have plans'? literally nothing is more important than this." emery asked, annoyed with the boy.

"ward cornered me yesterday. he said he wanted to give me my job back and take me fishing tomorrow." the boy explained. "i can't back out of it, ems. i need my job back."