𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝟹𝟿

MARA AND JJ HAD REJOINED JOHN B AND EMERY

none of them were in the hot tub anymore, the trio all sitting around the fire that jj had started in the small fire ring.

"is this your guys' first official date?" emery asked mara, reaching over to toss another stick of wood into the fire.

"it's yours too." she fired back, john b shaking his head.

"midsummers, bitch, try again." he retorted, emery smacking him on the arm as she leaned back into his body, the melville girl perched on her boyfriend's lap while jj and mara were in the same position on the lawn chair next to them. a sound from the driveway caught john b and emery's attention, jj and mara focusing on something else.

"guys, shut up." emery whispered, hitting mara on the shoulder and pulling her and jj from their conversation.

"yo, did you hear that?" john b asked jj, who listened closely.

"your... chicken?" he asked, before starting to cluck like on of the hens himself, john b clamping a hand over his mouth.

"it was a car door." emery breathed. "someone's here."

"it could just be levi and pope?" mara suggested, but emery shook her head, standing up and grabbing the bucket of sand next to the fire, pouring it over the flames and watching them snuff out.

"they never took a car." she reminded. "someone's here, guys."

"do we go inside?" mara asked.

"no, no, go up the tree." emery insisted, jj rolling his eyes at her.

"that's hilarious, emery-"

"i'm serious." she said bluntly, motioning for the group to follow her. "hurry up, guys!"

john b boosted emery into the tree first, she and jj helping mara up onto the branches. the two boys followed close behind them, the four barely making it up in time as footsteps approached them for the driveway.

rafe.

he looked around, his eyes falling on the fire that was still smoking. rafe's gaze lingered on the fire for a few moments before he turned around, looking at the surrounding area again.