•thirty one•

"Ok Sara.." Sami looked up at me with a smile. She had just finished wrapping a piece of blue elastic bandage snuggly around my arm where she had removed my IV. "Take it easy for a couple days. LOTS of fluids, especially if you are going to be out in this heat any. If you get to San Diego tonight and feel anything off I want you to get to the ER ok? I don't expect anything, but just in case. You should be fine. If you want to go watch the show I see no problem with it. Just stay off your feet, get them to find you a chair ok? And finish off that pedialite as well. You can take the bandage off when you get off the plane. I'm gonna get your vitals once more and Jeff will probably want to give you a good look before we get out of here."

"Thank you so much Sami. You have been an angel, seriously. I'm sorry I kept you busy all night..." I said with a laugh as she checked my blood pressure.

"Don't apologize... don't tell Jeff but I'm kind glad I got to spend my evening here with you guys than with him. He reminds me too much of my dad, and I love him. But I can only take so many dad jokes in a shift..." she started laughing.

The door opened and Jeff walked in as we all three started giggling at his timing. He looked at us and back at Sami..

"Why do I have a feeling you were just complaining about my dad jokes Sami?"

Sami's face turned red and she started laughing harder. "Because I definitely was Jeff.."

Jeff gave me a clean bill of health and repeated some of the instructions Sami had told me. Cheryl and I both thanking them greatly as they left.

"You feel like going and easing his mind yet, or do you need a few more minutes?" Cheryl asked hopping up from her chair and stretching. "God I feel like I need a coffee..."

"Sure, I think I'll be fine. Just find me somewhere to sit so he doesn't lose his mind." I said with a laugh as we stood and finally left the dressing room.

Cheryl led me through the maze of the backstage until we wound up side stage where Smitty's booth is set up. Rich saw me first and grabbed my hand, pulling me into his side and linking my arm around his elbow. He leaned down to my ear so I could hear over the distorted music.

"Glad to see you made it! Come sit with the girls, I'll get you a headset.." he yelled pointing to the headphones on his head. He led me over to a set of huge black crates that are used to pack up sound equipment beside Smitty's booth where Kenna and Tia were both sitting. They both gave me hugs and made room for me on top of the boxes. I felt a tap on my shoulder and Rich was handing me a headset.

"Glad you recovered girl, you had us freaking out..." Kenna leaned over and gave me a hug. "That man out there was beside himself. You scared the shit out of him..." she tapped the side of her headset and motioned for me to put mine on.

I slid the headset on and the music was perfect in my ears. I could hear chatter between Eli and the sound guys and the lighting crew. Suddenly I heard Eli's voice.

"Post, eyes, stage left.."

Austin was on the corner of the stage opposite of where we were sitting, and as Eli talked he started walking back towards where we were. He immediately turned our direction, finding me almost instantly. His face lit up in a smile when he saw me. He flashed me an ok sign with his hand and I nodded and gave him a thumbs up. He smiled again and pointed at his eye, then his chest and then at me. I giggled at his sweet "I love you" and did it back to him. He grinned and winked and turned his attention back to the crowd. The simple 10 second interaction making my heart flutter in my chest. It was the first time in a long time I had felt cared about, at least in a relationship. Just seeing the look on Austin's face when I had opened my eyes in his arms on the floor earlier.. it wasn't that I didn't think it before or I didn't believe him, but I just knew in that moment he loved me. The fear I saw was genuine and heartbreaking, the fear of a loved one being hurt. I felt my eyes stinging with the threat of tears and I let out a laugh shaking my head, fucking hormones, god damnit.