71 - Protect your children

Pete's POV

"When Khun Kan came to Taipei to see me, before confronting his brother, he brought some objects to me: the black king, the black queen, the white night and the red queen."

"The red queen...?!"

We ask in astonishment.

Lian nods.

"...and your necklace, Pete...il serpent (1), as he referred to it with me. Obviously, it has nothing to do with a snake. The White Clan has two different symbol representations: the white dragon from the king and the golden phoenix from the queen. In Chinese art they look similar. Khun Kan told me some stupid Italian partners mistook our symbols for snakes once. Khun Kan came that night to see me for probably the last time. He told me that little phoenix pendant he was carrying was a chess room key. The only key that could give access to all data related to our illegal business that were sealed by the White Queen in the Chess Room. She did it to protect our business from the white council, that ordered for the White King and White Queen to be killed."

"Grandma Jui did that?"

"No...your mother did it. She was the White Queen after your grandmother resigned decades ago to live a simple life with her bodyguard, your grandfather, in another country. But for that your mother position was negotiated in the Chess Room. You are from a minor family, if we can put this way. There was nothing your grandmother could do to avoid that. So, she was trained by Uncle Tai to be prepared for it and just like happened to Lee and Tianshi, your mother was delivery to our clan when she was a teenager to finish her training with the clan. Aunt Jui just got back the title when her daughter was dethroned, just like my grandfather got it from my father."

"..."

"To protect you and your grandparents, she gave the key to Khun Kan...to keep it safe until the next white queen could claim it and run our illegal businesses. My father wanted to break the white clan system...leave the chess room...and just keep business legal. Against my grandfather will, he wanted us to be free. An honorable but disastrous wish. The white queen had agreed to make the business legal to bring peace and freedom to her family too. But first they would have to destroy the white council. They were betrayed and persecuted before they could do it. By whom? Probably someone they had trusted unwisely. Legal businesses could never leave the White King's hand because Wang Family is known by the general public, but illegal business could be taken by the council and shared among them. To avoid that, all businesses data were sealed in the Chess Room database. They could not touch anything. Only the phoenix key successor would be able to open it. That's why he was hidden under poverty and difficult life. Who would look for a family in need?! Aunt Jui and Uncle Tai were out of the White Clan for a long time ago, so they were already taken as dead before the White Queen fell. Also, the only known heir for the white clan was me. You mother kept your existence well protected, but she could no longer trust anyone...not even the white clan. Curiously she could trust Khun Kan. Anyways, my grandfather issued a delivery order to have you back when I could assume my position as the White King and recreate the white chess board again with you, Lee and Tianshi as main pieces. My grandfather issued the delivery order to have you back to the white clan."

"Me or your illegal businesses?!"

"I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say both. To form the White Chess Board again we all gone through intense training. But grandpa told me your mother decided about your training herself, along with Khun Kan.

"Khun Kan? Why him?!"

...

Khun Kan's POV (past) – Chumphon Island.

"Pete, don't go to the water, sweetheart...little Vegas is not used to the waves. Stay in the shore..."

"Yes, mommy..." The little boy, a year older than my son, takes his hand and makes him sit on the wet sand to build a castle with him.