Chapter 1

Calix

"Ridiculous. What is this farcical news?"

I flinch at the booming voice of my father, King Richard Piercio Sonata Liorsa Tiore, the ruler of Syncitia.

"I—" I clench my fists as I try my best to muster up the courage. My secretary shoots me an encouraging look before I utter the ultimate truth out.

"It is the truth, Your Majesty." I huff out after much struggle, not being able to glance at those furious grey orbs of his. "She—we kissed last night."

I am familiar with Father's temper. If I am to reveal that it was Miss Isha Sen who had kissed me because of her drunken misunderstanding, he will go berserk. Father will never spare the woman if he comes to discover the truth. In order to protect my image, more importantly Carlos' image since he is the Crown Prince, Father will go to the extent of ruining Miss Sen's life. He will not hesitate before destroying her entire career and whatever she holds dear to her.

It isn't because he is deeply concerned for me. But rather due to the sheer fact that he has to maintain the royal image, he is always so proud of.

"I regret having you as my son," Father massages his forehead while his words butcher my heart into a thousand broken shards. The words are familiar but painful, as always.

"I apologize, Your Majesty." My gaze meets the polished marble floor.

"Who captured the video and pictures?" Father asks his secretary, clearly ignoring me.

"The sender is anonymous and presently, about ten cyber-security companies are doing their best in tracking down the source of those pictures and video."

"Hmm." Father hums deeply, stroking his chin alongside, "And they sent all of those to every single broadcasting channel of Syncitia, overnight?"

"It appears so, Your Majesty. As if someone has been conspiring against His Royal Highness for a long time."

I can't help but scoff hearing such absurd speculation. There is no way someone will be conspiring against me, the twenty-seven-year-old, nobody prince. And the illegitimate son whose biological mother was a palace-maid.

This is why I despise alcohol or getting intoxicated. After all, I was nothing but a drunken mistake, committed by the present King of Syncitia. He didn't even protest against Grandfather, the late King, when he had banished my mother out of Syncitia after giving birth to me. Till this day, everyone calls her a whore for seducing Father. But no one ever points a finger at the mighty ruler of the country, despite knowing that he was already married to Queen Veronica when he had decided to sleep with one of his maids.

The aftermath was this. Since Queen Veronica didn't have any children during that time, in fear of not having a future ruler, Grandfather ordered the Royal Palace to raise me up as the prince and son of both King Richard and Queen Veronica. Grandfather strictly forbade every staff, who were more or less aware of the scandal caused by his son and a mere maid, to never let anyone know about me being a bastard prince.

Two years later, Queen Veronica gave birth to Carlos, my younger brother and the present Crown Prince.

I do not know when everything took an ominous turn. I was loved by everyone. I had absolutely good relations with my family. I was enjoying my training to become the next heir to the throne, after my father would step down. However, one night, Grandfather passed away due to cardiac arrest. It was such a shock to everyone that Queen Veronica was unconscious for four days straight, and Father was on the verge of having a cardiac arrest himself. The ironic thing was something else, whatsoever.