Chapter 7

Isha

"My my, what a scene for two people in a pretend relationship." Prince Carlos' voice makes me clench my eyes shut in sheer embarrassment.

Hurriedly, Calix gets up from over me. However, he doesn't forget to help me up as well. Before we know, we find ourselves scooting as far as we possibly can to clear the tensed atmosphere.

Audrey, Prince Calix's secretary and a lady in her early thirties, tries to avoid eye contact with either of us. She must have been flustered thinking we were having a personal moment perhaps, and that she had interrupted us. To prove my assumptions correct, Audrey bows her head numerous times with strings of apologies leaving her mouth.

"I deeply apologize, Your Royal Highness and Miss Sen. I wasn't thinking straight and entered the lobby before knocking or announcing my presence."

I open my mouth to clear the misunderstanding, and so does Calix, it seems. Nevertheless, Crown Prince Carlos, who has been eyeing me with the same amused glint in his eyes since our first encounter, beats us to it.

"You do not have to apologize Audrey," Carlos laughs airily, "I am sure Prince Calix and Miss Sen were caught up in a bit of...tangle. They have been getting in quite similar tangles, lately. Am I not correct, Miss Sen?"

Hah. He is asking me the question after mocking us—me. Right, I do not have to worry about Prince Calix; he is completely capable of defending himself from his brother.

Unfortunately, I only nod with a curt smile. I know better than to run my straightforward mouth and offend the Crown Prince of the country, I am residing in. I harbour absolutely no intentions of being fled from Syncitia, anytime soon.

Carlos laughs again, probably after sensing that something is wrong due to my lack of response. On the other hand, Calix's face has turned stiffer than usual.

"Please do not mind my petty joke," Carlos says with a chuckle, while walking towards me, "I have a rather unusual sense of humour."

"It seems so." And my unfiltered mouth runs off. I gulp, quickly covering my offended facial expression with a feign smile. "I mean of course, not everyone has, uhm, a unique sense of humour. Haha."

The mirth increases more. Carlos is definitely teasing me, but the question is why. What would he gain by pulling my legs? It is not that I come from an influential background, am any aristocrat or even someone possessing enough wealth with whom he can freely joke around like a close acquaintance.

Whatever it is, I should stay cautious. This isn't any royal-romance Disney movie, of course.

"Audrey was simply acting on my orders. The ride for your date is waiting outside," Carlos goes on to explain. I do find something strange. The Crown Prince didn't even spare one glance at his brother all this time, and the same goes for Prince Calix. I have heard rumours about the relationship between the two brothers being shaky, but I never paid much attention, mostly because I had no time to spend on other matters.

"I hope my presumption about both of you being caught accidentally in an unexpected position, was correct?"

"Oh yes, it was," I reply nonetheless.

Now that I remember, I haven't greeted the Crown Prince properly. This morning, I do remember reading that women curtsy as a small greeting. And I had bowed instead on our first encounter, which is done primarily by males. Explains why the suited guard Broody, had done a small neck bow, that day.

Before I can proceed to curtsy, Carlos takes me by surprise when he bends, takes my hand, and kisses on the upper surface. The flirtatious wink sends a jolt of emotions running through me, most of which include, shock, curiosity, and caution.