Chapter 22

Isha

"Thanks for the ride," thanking the cab driver, I open the door. It's just a few metres. I'll limp and reach my apartment in no time.

"Do you need any help, miss?"

"No thank you." I smile at the kind gesture of the driver, before managing to get out of the car. I take a moment to steady my balance before closing the car door and off he goes.

I glance down at my bandaged left feet. And then back at the apartment, located in an empty street, in front of me. I live on the fifth floor. Not a problem.

As without any support, I begin to limp and thank any divine being out there for not letting anyone see my embarrassed state, I regret the choice of not bringing the wheelchair the hospital was offering me so generously. But then again, the cost was too much and knowing the presence of three men there, one of them would've seriously bought it if they saw me brooding over buying the wheelchair.

"You can do this Isha." I say to myself, as I start to limp slowly towards the front gate.

Slowly and steadily. As slow as possible. Without losing my balance.

Alas. I do lose my balance.

Closing my eyes tightly, I prepare myself to feel the hard hit of the concrete road, and possibly injure my leg more. Instead, I find myself in the arms of someone. When I open my eyes, I come face to face with very familiar deep blue eyes.

So not cliché.

I try to pull myself up from Calix's hold, however, a gasp leaves my mouth when without any prior warning, the male picks me up. In his arms.

"What are you doing?" I struggle against his hold as Calix walks with me towards the front gate of The Ivy Buildings. The guard at the front gate almost slaps himself seeing the first prince of Syncitia (with his bodyguard Kev and secretary Audrey following us, of course), walking up to him.

My cheeks take a deep shade of red when the guard peeks at me curiously. God, I want the Earth to swallow me up right here, right now. Even the passing by residents of other apartments in the building can't help but murmur amongst themselves at the nonchalant prince carrying his injured girlfriend.

To some, it may appear as romantic. But to me, it is utterly mortifying. Especially when I can't shake off my tremendously fast beating heart, which defies every sense of logic I possess. And this insufferable Prince High Horse isn't willing to listen to me even.

"How may I help you, Your Royal Highness?" The guard, who stays in a half-drowsy state for almost the entire day, stands up with his spine straight and salutes the prince.

I facepalm myself. Audrey smiles awkwardly. Kev sighs. Calix grins politely.

"It would be alright if I accompany my girlfriend into her apartment, right? She is injured, you see. Miss Isha Sen is a resident of The Ivy Buildings."

"Oh yeah right." The guard laughs, recognizing me, who has been desperately trying to hide her face all this time. The giggling group of teenage girls walking past us and whispering 'So charming' 'Prince Calix is such a romantic and gentlemanly boyfriend,' doesn't help in easing the embarrassing situation at all. "Please go ahead."

"Thank you." Smiling at the guard, Calix enters the building with me still in his arms.

"Your apartment number and floor?"

"60B. Fifth floor." I sigh, finally giving in to the answer, knowing very well that the prince will not hear a no from me.

Audrey walks forward and presses the door-hold-button for us. I had expected the man to put me down in the elevator at least, but he doesn't seem to budge. On top of that—