Chapter 10

Isha

"How many more secrets are you planning on keeping from us, Isha?"

I grimace at the low and forbidding voice of Aria. She can be scarier than a demon when she is angry.

"Didi, the thing is—"

"You are dating Prince Calix, Isha!" Aria practically yells into the phone. "How could you even hide such a thing from your family? I get that you had to do it because of the Royal Code of Conduct, but what about after you openly kissed His Royal Highness? In fact, you didn't even bother to let us know before the press conference."

"I—" I sigh with guilt and frustration. Guilt because of the constant lies I am required to present before my family and frustration, because I cannot reveal anything. At all.

"Have you talked to Ma and Baba, yet?"

"No," I say, my voice heavy with regret, "Not yet."

I don't have the courage to talk to them. Not after this mess.

I did expect Aria's call the first thing in the morning, after returning from my restaurant date, the night before yesterday. Her telling me off was anticipated as well, but us conversing on the topic of our parents? No. I did not prepare anything to say as my reply. At least she called me after one whole day of the sudden relationship announcement.

Aria's voice softens, "You might think I am nagging you a lot and always have. But as the eldest sister, I worry too much about you and Anvi. Well, Anvi is fond of living in her own world, but that's not how it is with you. As far as I can recall, you have always been the one to share everything with Ma and Baba, Isha. Imagine the pain they must have felt after knowing about your relationship with a royalty, from TV. You even kept them in the dark and avoided them to your best at the beginning of the scandal. Ma and Baba might not show it, but they want their daughters to not turn their backs on them.

We are your family, Isha. I didn't say anything because you were frightened after the photos were leaked. You even told me and Anvi that the kiss was a drunken mistake. And now I am learning this unexpected news..."

Tears clog my eyes but I know better than to shed tears in broad daylight, and in the middle of a crowded street at that. But Aria's disappointed sigh doesn't help either. She is right but I also require time to figure things out myself.

"Don't worry. I will take care of everything." Before Aria can speak, I hang up the call and suck in a tight breath.

The bright side is the fact that at least I have received two benefits after the press conference.

I have been able to permanently secure my position as an English Literature teacher at Syncitia Public High School. And, the public has stopped giving me attention. Although the stares I receive (like how I am encountering at the moment by passing strangers), can get tedious to handle at times. Well, the paparazzi aren't bothering me, at best.

I guess, Prince Calix's words really do have an impact on Syncitians.

"Isha! I'm here!"

The squealing voice takes my attention. A relieved smile appears on my face when I catch Lola Hwang waving at me while being seated at a table in Coffee Strings, one of our go-to coffeehouse.

The girl had been away on a business trip, being the busy and wealthy CEO of Hwang Cosmetics. She did try to persuade me into spilling the tea over video-chat or phone call but I strictly turned her down, saying how her work was more important. Of course, she didn't let me go until I promised to meet up with her, after her return.