Chapter 3

Calix

Has anyone ever fallen in love with an architecture? I have. Right here. Right now.

"We are here, Miss Sen."

The guard sitting on my left was generous enough to not wake me up when I dozed off on his arm. His little jerk of my head made me realize where I am, my purpose there and what I shall prepare myself for. Humiliation? Embarrassment? Anything is better than death.

Whatever it is, I force myself to look outside the tinted car windows and have my mind refreshed.

Did the scenery take my breath away? Absolutely.

After receiving verification from the authorities guarding the huge, front gate, which had taken approximately about forty-five seconds, two more guards, all dressed in well-tailored suits and ties, hold the gate wide open. The car drives through in no time, while I take my sweet time in cherishing the stunning panorama. Who would have thought that there was such a magnificent place, away from the hustling bustling city life of Euthensia, the capital of Syncitia? In fact, I had no idea I lived only thirty minutes away from Nirvana, (the Royal Palace's name).

As the Jaguar rolls over on the delicately built stony pavement, covered by a smooth coating of light red paint, I notice the gigantic lush greenery on either of my side. Flowers that bloom year round like shining bright yellow Marigold; Zinnia in colours of red, pink and white; red Daylily designed naturally by splotches of yellow Chrysanthemum; purplish Aster and the list goes on. Wherever I look, however I look, I can only see and scent the fragrance.

My feet itch. I want to step down from the car and explore the entire garden so bad because this? This is just one half of the gargantuan garden.

The car circles around the colossal and pompous fountain, its crystal clear water sprinkling around. The basin is carved into complex structures of miniature mermaids, mermen, other sea creatures I cannot understand and even a mythical being, which appears to me as, a sea monster.

In contrast to the fountain, I am very sure that I did catch the glimpse of what looked like, can be a large pond, at the back of the palace.

When the car stops, my jaw hangs open and so do my eyes. Not because of the sudden break the driver has taken, but because of the palatial structure in front of me.

I have only seen the Royal Palace on TV, or in pictures in news articles. But to get the opportunity to see the actual big deal in front of my eyes (despite the unexpected circumstances), it feels surreal. Almost as if I have stepped into a whole new world in a Disney film.

With its mighty edifice, the Royal Palace, sturdy and strong, overlooks onto us. It isn't like the palaces shown in historical movies or, let's say, Disney royal movies (I'm obsessed with Disney). The Royal Palace, Nirvana, is the monumental version of what we know as a mansion. It is a huge, spread out building, built on thousands of acres of land. If my calculations are correct, the palace is about 25 metres high, give or take a few metres. The monotonous white colour of Nirvana, juxtaposes well with the light hues of ivory and few shades of walnut cream colour. I recognize the Red Valerian, creeping around the walls and some windows. Although, I am not sure whether they have grown naturally or artificially been put there for decoration purposes.

I sigh dreamily at the sight. This is just the front view of Nirvana. I wonder how the interior, or what an aerial view of the entire palace, might look like.

The security breaches aren't one to be underestimated either. Almost everywhere, suited men in black suits akin to the two escorting me, or in guard uniforms of golden and black with the artistic picture of a phoenix on their chest pockets, are keeping up their guards. These are the signature colours of Syncitia's flag and the national animal of the country (even if it is a mythical bird).