Chapter 30

Isha

Prince High Horse: I am done with the meeting. On my way in a few minutes after I pay a visit to my therapist (I am good, don't worry). Are you finished conversing with Queen Veronica, yet? No rush, of course. Take your time.

I am sure you are heading to the library now? Be there and have a look around. I'll come soon. :)

Thump. Thump. Thump.

My heart beats faster than I could ever fathom a human heart could possibly pump blood. Perhaps I should later give a lecture to Prince Calix on establishing boundaries. His words, that he means out of nothing but his charming kindness, are oddly flattering (and fluttering). He does not know what these little words do to me. Especially now that I am aware of my little crush on him.

If he keeps speaking in such a delicate vocabulary, I am afraid my delusional mind will be far too gone.

And it might be heartbreaking.

I slip back into the bitter reality when the melodious musical notes of a piano, as if the symphonies are being guided across a glimmering river under the first glamours of the sun, dancing and prancing giddily, with a little touch of melancholy hidden beneath, hit my eardrums. I might not have a talent for music but it has always attracted me.

After all, music speaks to the soul, rather than the skin.

A soft smile flitters across my lips as I follow the notes and find myself at the far end of the corridor, in front of a comparatively small hall. My fingers are tensed as I contemplate if I should peek in my head through the slightly ajar door and listen to it, or, like a normal human being, ask for the permission of watching the person play, whoever they may be.

I take in a deep breath and softly push through the large door, consisting of intricate designs of flowers, fruits, and vines. The sound of piano pauses the moment I step inside. God, I feel bad. I just hope I do not appear as rude or a creep.

"Hello—" the words get stuck in my throat when instead of a stranger, I find Crown Prince Carlos beaming at me, his eyebrows raised, and the infamous amused grin plastered as always. He has a black tuxedo on and hair done which could possibly mean he has somewhere to go or simply, sneaked out from his work schedule. I feel sorry for this guy's secretary.

"Well, well, well, so it is true after all. Isha Sen really did get invited by my mother. She must like you then." Carlos positions his figure in my direction, crossing one leg over another. "I feel sad though." A fake, very cringe pout appears on his lips. "You turned my invitations down, but not Mother's."

Well duh, she is the queen. Of course I cannot just pass on this golden opportunity.

For the past two weeks, Carlos has been messaging me. Harmless texts, like sending reels, random informative videos on birds, finding many ways to talk to me for a long time. Last Thursday I was out at a shopping mall, browsing through clothes, when the Crown Prince gave me the fright of my life by appearing behind me, dressed in all black and face covered, without his secretary or bodyguards.

And I may have smacked his head with my purse, out of assumption he was a robber. As for the entire day, although I was always on alert at the fear we might soon get ambushed by Carlos' fans if they noticed his identity under the guise, but the prince was pretty laid back about the whole situation. In fact, he even treated me to different types of food in the mall (down for free food any day). That day I realized, Carlos wasn't a bad company. He was just too...smug.

Scratch that. Very smug actually. But with a decent personality who could perhaps be in my friends' list. But the thought of having the Crown Prince as my friend is a bit overwhelming, to be honest.