Chapter 40

Calix

I wince when Audrey presses the ice bag, too hard than necessary, on my swollen left cheek. Lola for sure can throw some great punches that makes you gasp for oxygen, and wish to never be in her bad books. Although I already am in her bad books. Or rather, worst book. I deserve it anyway after snatching away the light from Isha's life. However, the punch did hurt. I am only glad to have my teeth and gums intact.

"Audrey," I groan in protest at the second time she presses the ice bag hard, "If you could handle the bruise with more tenderness, it would be highly appreciated."

"Right. Apologies." Audrey sounds anything but sorry.

"Is something the matter?" I inquire, not being able to keep my curiosity in. After my return from Fleurina, my secretary's attitude has changed drastically from her usual bubbly, workaholic, nervous-wrecking persona to someone who is constantly on edge around me. As if she wants to say something to me, but is hesitating.

"Nothing, Your Royal Highness."

I sigh. "Speak Audrey."

"As I said—"

"It is an order from the Crown Prince, Audrey. Hence, speak." I despise using the power of my title and status, but when time calls, they do come of as an advantage to some extent.

Audrey huffs. Steps back, while I hold the ice bag still against my swollen check and watch the woman biting her lower lip and contemplating. Finally, she opens her mouth. "Please forgive me for saying this, Your Royal Highness but...you are heartless."

Surprise coats my features. "Please elaborate."

"Meaning Your Royal Highness," Audrey's stare pierces right through me, as for the first time, she holds her gaze without nervousness evident. Although there are some specks of anxiousness. "Miss Isha Sen. What you are doing to her, by keeping her in the dark and creating a misunderstood picture of yours in her mind, is very heartless of you. I know the circumstances are difficult and probably a relationship with the woman can never be possible. But as someone who is in a relationship with a man I am head over heels for, if my boyfriend did what you are doing to me, my soul will die. It wouldn't have mattered if you and Miss Sen had still been merely strangers in a false relationship. Even for just a week, both of you began dating after discovering your blossoming feelings.

Your Royal Highness, please be responsible, and that includes relationships that are meant to be mended, fears that are needed to be get over, and intentional misunderstandings that are necessary to be cleared. That is all and the rest is up to you, at the end of the day." Audrey bows, her face devoid of any emotion, "I will bring the medicines to cure your swell soon." And just like that, without glancing back, she exits from my bedchamber.

Nevertheless, even before I can take the time to think through her words and express a proper reaction, quite rudely the door is pushed open and in enters another person.

Prince Carlos. Former Crown Prince. Second Prince of Syncitia. My Half-Brother. The one whom I have not seen anywhere for almost a week is standing inside my bedchamber, his suit, shirt, tie, loosened and rumpled, hair messy, and eyes burning with rage. Moments after few guards arrive, gasping for breathe and their faces red from tiredness while probably chasing my brother around. I motion them to leave and allow for Carlos to stay.

Not that he needs my permission.

"Carlos—Ack!" A puff of air leaves me when brother dearest steps forward and places a punch on my unwounded cheek, which will surely swell as well. And with both swollen cheeks, I will appear no less than a red tomato.