Chapter 15

Calix

"You may both leave now." Father motions me and Carlos to see ourselves out, after sharing the recent concerns about Palatiana. The most troubling thing is that, as a result of the place being remote, with little to no inhabitants (except for a few and other researchers and scientists of Syncitia), we do not have a stable connection with the fallen town. Even the network connection is unstable there. I had advised Father to not cut off ties with Palatiana completely, and ignore an entire town just because the population is scarce there. However, he and Carlos stayed indifferent and rooted to their decision, not giving any regard to my opinion. Well, they never did or do so, anyway.

To me, the thought of cutting ties off with a fallen town, just because the capital isn't going to receive any benefit from it, is utterly ridiculous. What about the few poor residents there, who are on the brink of survival because as far as I know, Nirvana doesn't provide for them.

I despise this particular discrimination amongst the people of the same country. If only I had been the Crown Prince, instead of Carlos, then I would have worked harder to overthrow the corrupted rules of our nation.

But I'm not. And I will never be.

"Your Royal Highness," Audrey's voice brings me out of my inner thoughts. She seems to hesitate for some reason.

"What is it?"

"Well, it's almost half-past six, and I...um..."

"Yes?"

"Never mind," Audrey sighs, "Let us revise through your schedule for tomorrow, Your Royal Highness—"

"Audrey," my calm voice stills my secretary as she becomes aware that I can sense something. I prompt her further, "You do know that you can say anything to me, freely. I have given you the right."

"Yes," Audrey exhales. It takes her some time to get the words out of her, but she does so eventually. "I have...plans, for this evening."

"And by plans you mean?" I do not miss the opportunity to tease Audrey, seeing the woman's flushed cheeks for the very first time.

If I'm not wrong, Audrey is presently thirty-three years old. She has been my personal secretary for the past seven years, and an elder sister, I never knew I needed. In these past seven years, I haven't once seen Audrey dating, being in a relationship, or thinking about her love life. I partly blame myself for that as she is required to stay beside me from five in the morning to ten at night. In fact, Audrey is supposed to arrive at the Royal Palace, whenever I need her for work purposes. And all this time, she has been nothing but a diligent, hard-working lady, without slacking off, when on duty.

But now it is time that my secretary pays attention to her personal life, as well.

"I have a date," Audrey reveals finally before quickly adding, "But it doesn't matter. Your schedule is more important—"

"Go."

Audrey stares at me in astonishment. "What?"

"I said go," I shrug in nonchalance, "Enjoy the night when it's still young."

The woman frowns. "I do not mean to offend you, Your Royal Highness, but you have never really willingly let me off work, before my scheduled times."

"Well yes," I stutter, mentally cursing my past, overly-work-obsessed self. "People change."

"And there's a reason for every change."

Before I am able to comprehend Audrey's cheeky reply, she dashes off after muttering a quick thank you.