Chapter 39

Calix

What use is it to continue living, if my life has been snatched away from me? I'll be as good as a dead body with no emotions and precisely, my father expects me to become one. An artificial robot he can control, break, use, whenever he wants. And I, follow him foolishly, the one who has helped in my creation. That was his job only for he certainly is not aware of the difference between being a father and a dad.

I close the diary, keeping it safely away into the depths of my locker in one of my cupboards. Mrs Isla Rosa has advised me to pour my heart out into pieces of paper in order to avoid deteriorating my mental health, and eventually, my anxiety. After I began seeing my therapist again, after return from Fleurina and the whole mess, the woman could not understand my sudden pale appearance as if light has been sucked out of me. I could not tell her everything hence, it was only natural why she couldn't understand the reason behind the rise of my anxiety issues, which had begun subsiding few weeks before.

"Your Royal Highness, Lady Crystal has arrived." Audrey informs from outside the locked door of my bedchamber.

I ultimately rise from my bed and straighten my attire in front of the mirror. I look as usual, like a prince is supposed to. The only difference anyone can spot is how devoid of emotions I am. I know, Lady Crystal who as well, did not have a say in this arranged marriage, does not deserve such unemotional treatment from her future husband, but my hands are tied. Isha is the only one for whom I can show my utmost and unconditional love. Yet I have hurt her deeply.

Soon, I head outside the bedchamber where Audrey and Kev are already waiting for me, sympathetic gazes adorning their features.

"I am alright." I smile tightly before walking through the hallways and heading towards one of the dining rooms where Lady Crystal apparently is. I did pass on our first meeting, the day before yesterday, with the excuse of being ill. Of course I cannot keep delaying the meet.

Before I know, I am already sitting in front of Lady Crystal with a strained smile. I am trying my best to be polite but it is hard when the thoughts of Isha have been occupying my mind, 24/7. All day, all night long. The self-loathing directed towards me, guilt, regret, pain, is tearing me apart but I am trying. I am trying my best to survive.

"I hope you had a comfortable trip to Euthensia from Le Moba Nano, Lady Crystal." I say, as usual with the tightened smile on my face, as I try my best to focus on the woman in front of me.

"Perhaps." She hums, as she carefully inspects the gem embedded figurines, placed as means of decoration, on the table.

From my understanding, Lady Crystal Veraya Moraxo is very...peculiar. Not in a bad sense, of course. But rather peculiar than the aristocratic ladies of her age, at least. I had prepared myself to face yet again another narcissistic, wealthy daughter of nobles, who love to flaunt themselves without actually contributing something to the good of the society. Especially since Duchess Leonora has always tried her best to set up me with her youngest daughter, Crystal. And of course, I had expected that the lady I shall be meeting today might show much over-enthusiasm, due to wanting to marry me solely to become the future queen of Syncitia and enjoy the authority and power that comes along with the title and status. However, Crystal, who is close to my age, appears just as unconcerned as me, about the whole arrangement. She seems almost uninterested to partake in this arranged marriage.

That is interesting. Certainly.

Crystal sits in her floral, soft pink, ankle-length dress, her whitish-blonde hair done in an elegant bun with few locks falling out, and like a curious kid stares at any and everything with great intent, through her emerald eyes. She does not look any less than how I had imagined an odd but kind fairy to be, as a young boy.