Chapter 19

Isha

"Sorry if I took you by surprise there," Calix says calmly after a moment of silent elevator ride. "The door-hold-button, I had forgotten to press it before stepping inside. You fell and out of impulse I just walked out on a whim. Had to carry you in before the elevator door closed."

He is definitely fumbling with words. It is kind of cute, but that doesn't explain his constant mood swings.

Well, how lucky for him that I consider myself a straightforward lady. So I get straight to the point, without any beating around the bushes.

"Care to explain the wonderful display of your indecipherable attitude?"

Calix doesn't answer. Eventually, I grow impatient and infuriated.

"I am asking something, Calix."

He increases his speed through the empty corridors instead. I increase mine too, and before he can comprehend, stand in front of him.

"Answer me. Now."

"Isha, move," Calix tries to walk past me but I remain still in my position.

"What do you want to know?" Calix massages his forehead with a deep exhale.

"Is something the matter?" I ask with genuine concern. "One moment you were so bitter with Harvey and refused to talk to me and now we are back on speaking terms—"

A small gasp leaves my mouth when Calix steps forward. Too close. So much so that I can feel his hot breathe fanning on my lips. He is barely touching my arms in a delicate manner, yet I feel millions of warm tingles spiking up throughout my skin. Brushing contacts ignite flames, soon after.

An expression of confusion, tenderness and desperation, all mixed up in an amalgamation, clouds his blue eyes.

"I am not fond of you. Not one bit. It is truly bitter how much I would like to stay as far as I possibly can, from you. But in vain, I can't seem to let you go. Have I gone insane or do you practice black magic, by any chance?"

"You have gone insane." I breathe before contemplating what I am saying. In my defence, it is not my fault when suddenly a gorgeous, arrogant (perhaps sometimes nice) prince, with whom I haven't had proper encounters, utters out such...such heart-fluttering words. And what black magic? Does he really believe in such a sham?

A hollowness forms inside me, as soon as Calix steps away from me with a sigh and straightens his posture. "I am sorry, Isha. I haven't been myself for the past few days due to work pressure. Well, please follow me. We are almost there."

With that, Calix walks past me, a stony expression covering him; as if he did not have that look full of foreign emotions, not long ago.

Anyway, I follow the prince in silence.

Calix is just as mysterious as Carlos. The only difference is that, he appears lonely, as if there is no one to provide him with the solace he yearns for.

 The only difference is that, he appears lonely, as if there is no one to provide him with the solace he yearns for