Chapter 36

Calix

Sunlight penetrates my eyelids, forcing me to break free from my peaceful slumber. A content smile appears on my drowsy lips not soon after when I gaze at the sleeping woman in my arms, nestled comfortably under the thick blanket. It is true then. Cuddling after sex feels good. And cuddling and sleeping after sex while the outside world is being covered under heaps of snow, on the occasion of Christmas, feels like I have descended on a heavenly abode.

We had sex. I and Isha are now one. From soul, mind and body.

However a dreadful feeling settles inside me very soon when memories of Isha's disappointed and hurt face, taunts me. I am an idiot. An idiot who cannot even muster up the courage to say I love you too.

I do. I love Isha but alas, my stupid mouth couldn't utter out the three words and eight alphabets when Isha was most expecting them. Not because I was confused or didn't feel the same. Rather, it was the self-doubt and insecurity that planted their evil roots in my mind, reminding me over and over again, Isha does not deserve a broken, vulnerable, bastard prince like me. Isha would be happier without me.

A sigh passes my lips when I glance at my slumbering lover. No, I should enjoy the present moment instead of dwelling in the past and over-thinking about the future. And my present focus is Isha.

As I place a light peck on her forehead and prepare to get up, my phone violently vibrates. I pick it up from the bedside table and my brow furrows, seeing numerous missed calls and messages from Audrey, including one official email from Nirvana. Standing up from the bed, I rub my eyes to remove the blurriness and open the Email first.

Greetings to His Royal Highness Prince Calix.

It is an unfortunate news but His Royal Highness Prince Carlos is no longer the Crown Prince due to certain unavoidable circumstances. As this is a very important and confidential matter, the reason cannot be shared in detail or brief in the Email itself. His Majesty King Richard has asked you to return back to Nirvana immediately.

Thank you.

~Official Centre of Nirvana

I reread the email over and over again, my chest getting heavier as the gravity of each word weighs down on me. Under any other situation, I would have been over the moon to receive such an unexpected and absurd news. Becoming the future ruler of Syncitia has always been my dream. It is the reason why I was born and grew up being trained intensively for the position until Carlos was announced as the Crown Prince. It is of course, even now a wish of mine, but at present, things are not the same as it were some months ago. My life has changed. I have changed. For, if I were to become the Crown Prince now, it would only mean, no more contact or any form of relationship with Isha. Father will never allow the Crown Prince to have a relation, fake or not, with a commoner in his eyes. It is as if he is still living in the past of the monarchical rule.

I do not take long to call Audrey as I head out to the balcony in order to not disrupt Isha's sleep. As expected, my secretary picks up the phone and her hyperventilating voice blares through that I have to keep it away from my ears.

"Prince Calix, it is Queen Veronica..."

My eyebrows shot up in worry, "What about her? What happened to Mother?"

I hear Audrey sighing on the phone, "Queen Veronica is the reason behind everything. The problems in Palatiana, capture and circulation of your and Miss Sen's photos and video which had given rise to the scandal, even the poisoning incident from that day. She had poisoned her own self to put the blame on you. While you were away with Miss Sen to Fleurina, Nirvana managed to catch the maid who had run away that day. The one responsible for Queen Veronica's evening teas, and the one hired by you."